Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: New member
Hello, welcome!

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 11:27 AM
(27-03-2016 06:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi Kevin.
I hope you are not insane.

(we've had a few lately)

Not yet, but I'm getting thereSmile
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post
27-03-2016, 02:34 PM
(27-03-2016 11:27 AM)PaddyOdoors Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 06:25 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Hi Kevin.
I hope you are not insane.

(we've had a few lately)

Not yet, but I'm getting thereSmile
Thanks everyone for the comments and welcomeSmile
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post
27-03-2016, 02:35 PM
(27-03-2016 02:25 AM)PaddyOdoors Wrote:  Hi all.
Just having a look around some forums, this one looks interesting.
I'm an atheist and from England, my name is Kevin.
Happy egg day by the way.

Welcome aboard

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
03-04-2016, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2016 06:38 AM by Krypttonigt.)
Hello and welcome :-) Feel free to get as much off your chest as you want.

Fun fact: in South Africa the term 'kaffir' (I hate even TYPING that word!) is a very loaded and insulting one...but for different reasons than you think. During the Apartheid era the white government appropriated that word to use as an insult to call the black people it oppressed. Today now that Apartheid is finished the term kaffir is considered deeply offensive and taboo.

Anyway,
South Africa is a secular Western country with a substantial Muslim population who have (for the most part) learned how to integrate peacefully with non-believers through viewing Islamic teaching as metaphorical rather than literal...and guess what? It works. I know many who swear by evolution and remain Muslim, who generally accept gays (or at least just leave them alone), non-believers and open discourse without turning into angry bullies or close-minded morons.

Therefore it's a surprise for me when I meet full-on Arabs who are the total opposite of the Muslims I've come to know (and in some cases love) here.

As a teacher who works closely with Saudi Arabians and the like I've taken it upon myself to open their eyes and educate them as far as possible (without being too 'in your face' and annoying about it) while they spend months/years in my country...in addition to living in a more diverse and multicultural environment. Over time the changes between how they behaved and viewed the world when they first arrived versus who they are at the end is often VERY different, more tolerant and accepting of others and you see a huge decrease in that infuriating 'Islamic arrogance'. Not always, but I've seen some beautiful success stories

**No gods, only humanity. There's only ever been us.**
03-04-2016, 06:23 AM
Hi,

[Image: kevin%2Bminion.PNG]

Welcome!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-04-2016, 07:46 AM
(03-04-2016 06:19 AM)Krypttonigt Wrote:  Hello and welcome :-) Feel free to get as much off your chest as you want.

Fun fact: in South Africa the term 'kaffir' (I hate even TYPING that word!) is a very loaded and insulting one...but for different reasons than you think. During the Apartheid era the white government appropriated that word to use as an insult to call the black people it oppressed. Today now that Apartheid is finished the term kaffir is considered deeply offensive and taboo.

Anyway,
South Africa is a secular Western country with a substantial Muslim population who have (for the most part) learned how to integrate peacefully with non-believers through viewing Islamic teaching as metaphorical rather than literal...and guess what? It works. I know many who swear by evolution and remain Muslim, who generally accept gays (or at least just leave them alone), non-believers and open discourse without turning into angry bullies or close-minded morons.

Therefore it's a surprise for me when I meet full-on Arabs who are the total opposite of the Muslims I've come to know (and in some cases love) here.

As a teacher who works closely with Saudi Arabians and the like I've taken it upon myself to open their eyes and educate them as far as possible (without being too 'in your face' and annoying about it) while they spend months/years in my country...in addition to living in a more diverse and multicultural environment. Over time the changes between how they behaved and viewed the world when they first arrived versus who they are at the end is often VERY different, more tolerant and accepting of others and you see a huge decrease in that infuriating 'Islamic arrogance'. Not always, but I've seen some beautiful success stories

Think you may have posted this in the wrong threadTongue