New member from California

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Hello from northern California, bay area. I hope to become an active member here and more of an activist in my community.

I have a very intense religious background and drifted away after reaching adulthood. I am currently writing about my experiences and hope to help others in the religion gain the courage to question and hopefully leave.

I don't like militant atheism, such as attacking others just because of their beliefs, but rather prefer intellectual discussion (if it is at all possible) with open and civil non-biased talking points. I know that this is generally almost futile but it is worth it to me.

Even though I haven't met any of you yet, I have read some of the threads and discussions. Thank you all for the opportunity to expand my knowledge and talking points already. If there is interest, I will make the next post about my personal story.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Tennpenn83's post
22-11-2017, 10:15 AM
RE: New member from California
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
22-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
22-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Howdy. Personal stories are always interesting, go for it.

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
22-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Hi and welcome!

Please, go ahead and share your personal story. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
22-11-2017, 11:21 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to TTA. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
22-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I grew up in a fundamentalist mainstream Mormon household. I remember never being fully committed but wanting to do the "right" thing and become a faithful priesthood holder to make my parents happy. I believed in the church, but likely because I never knew anything else. Once I graduated high school, I remember having no desire to serve a mission. A "mission" being a 2 year commitment to the church going wherever they choose to send you. Both of my brothers served missions, but I chose not to and enlisted in the Army instead. After my army enlistment and a few years of other jobs, I went back to school and got a college degree in Physics and Engineering. These fields had always interested me and learning about how things actually work in reality instead of fantasy (bible), I finally was able to leave Mormonism behind.

Even though I have been out of the church for years, and don't believe in any religion, I still have problems leaving certain things behind. For instance, I still "feel" that homosexual relationships are wrong, even though I have rationally talked and thought about it and have absolutely no problem with them. I think about those who I know in those kinds of relationships and I talk with them and have no issues with how they choose to live their lives. But for some reason I still harbor some inner feelings from what I was taught as a child, that homosexuality is wrong, breaking the law of chastity, which is the worst kind of sin next to murder.

I still "feel" guilty doubting that there is a god of any kind. I am truly skeptical, and I don't believe in god(s) and argue against them. But the feeling of guilt remains no matter what. If I had not grown up religious, then I don't think that guilt would be there, as is the case with my wife. She is also a non-believer, but has not the slightest bit of guilt. It does not bother her. I still have roots that give me uneasiness even though I am logically sound, have a rational head on my shoulders, and don't make decisions without a good deal of thought.

Oh well, it is just me. I have a lot more than I have written in my essay but I won't post any of that until it is done. It is a work in progress and I want to make sure I have everything right before I even think of sharing it.
[+] 3 users Like Tennpenn83's post
22-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Hello.

Militant atheism however...

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in religion of any kind, I think it would be best if it were simply eradicated from the face of the earth. I have found, however, that the religious are so brainwashed in their way of [not] thinking that it ascribes more irrational thoughts and intentions. Trying to destroy my family or friends' faith in terrible fashion (which I could actually do if they would but listen) would only alienate me from any further contact with them. Slowly, brick by brick, I can challenge one idea after another in logical, civil discussion, if that be possible.
[+] 2 users Like Tennpenn83's post