New member from California

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2017, 07:56 PM
RE: New member from California
Looks like others have taken up the intellectual discourse, so you can PM me if you need a dick n fart joke, or a dirty limerick. Tongue

Welcome to TTA. Shy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
22-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Hiyas. I lived in the East Bay, namely Liverburg, for about a year. Wasn't nearly so bad as SoCal, I'm here to tell ya.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
23-11-2017, 08:26 AM
(22-11-2017 07:38 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing that you've already read this little gem: Letter to a CES Director

Yes, absolutely. I have actually had many of those questions myself before reading the letter. I wrote them down but never put them into a letter quite as organized as Mr. Runnels. He did a tremendous job with that. There are still updates to his website which I frequently visit.
23-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Greeting! I've lived in San Diego, La Jolla, El Cajon, Long Beach, Bellflower and some other places. (Yeah, I was Navy.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Welcome!

I have an Uncle who loves in Cali (somewhere haha) plus we have a fair few members from that neck of the woods as well Smile

"When you’re in a relationship, you’re in a band. Sometimes you sing lead and sometimes you’re on tambourine. And if you’re on tambourine, play it right. Play it with a fucking smile. ‘Cause nobody wants to see a mad tambourine player.” - Chris Rock
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
23-11-2017, 12:27 PM
(22-11-2017 01:47 PM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in religion of any kind, I think it would be best if it were simply eradicated from the face of the earth. I have found, however, that the religious are so brainwashed in their way of [not] thinking that it ascribes more irrational thoughts and intentions. Trying to destroy my family or friends' faith in terrible fashion (which I could actually do if they would but listen) would only alienate me from any further contact with them. Slowly, brick by brick, I can challenge one idea after another in logical, civil discussion, if that be possible.

We agree on eradicating.

I'm not interested in de-indoctrinating others, however I don't hold my tongue in rare occasions when I discuss religion IRL. Religion warrant no respect and if speaking my mind make me militant then let it be so.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-11-2017, 08:01 AM
I see where you are coming from. I have had very good discussions with people of faith, and they all seem to be of the same mindset, "How could you not possibly just SEE the hand of God in the world??" It's the same as me saying "How could you not possibly just SEE the evidence of evolution, biology, geology, astronomy, physics, etc...??"

The difference is they choose not to open their eyes to the possibility that they just might be wrong. They see only one side and dismiss the other without even looking. I have at least looked at both sides and come to the conclusion that satisfies me most. And that side is evidence-based.
[+] 1 user Likes Tennpenn83's post
25-11-2017, 08:37 AM
(22-11-2017 01:47 PM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in religion of any kind, I think it would be best if it were simply eradicated from the face of the earth. I have found, however, that the religious are so brainwashed in their way of [not] thinking that it ascribes more irrational thoughts and intentions. Trying to destroy my family or friends' faith in terrible fashion (which I could actually do if they would but listen) would only alienate me from any further contact with them. Slowly, brick by brick, I can challenge one idea after another in logical, civil discussion, if that be possible.

"Militant atheism" is a bullshit slur used by the far right to insist on their own political correctness to avoid the fact they DO use holy writings to justify bigotry, xenophobia, anti LGBTQ, racism and white nationalism and science denial.

If countering that bullshit by being blunt makes me "militant" fine with me.

I'd say "militant" is not mere blasphemy or offending people, but when you use violence, mob rule or state law to oppress others.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2017, 09:07 AM
I understand and agree. I used the term "militant atheism" because of its common understanding and usage.

I was only saying that I prefer less combative methods of discussion.
25-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Welcome to TTA bro, nice to have you aboard I'm liking your posts already and looking forward to getting to know you better. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post