New member from California

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2017, 10:28 AM
RE: New member from California
(25-11-2017 09:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Welcome to TTA bro, nice to have you aboard I'm liking your posts already and looking forward to getting to know you better. Smile

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome and hope to have a good time here. I have frequented forums in the past and know how they work, used to be an admin for a car enthusiast forum for a short time. You don't have to worry about me. Smile

Who/where are you?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2017, 11:12 AM
(25-11-2017 10:28 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 09:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Welcome to TTA bro, nice to have you aboard I'm liking your posts already and looking forward to getting to know you better. Smile

Thanks! I appreciate the welcome and hope to have a good time here. I have frequented forums in the past and know how they work, used to be an admin for a car enthusiast forum for a short time. You don't have to worry about me. Smile

Who/where are you?

I just wanted to mention a little more about my California connections. I'm a 5th generation California which is highly unusual in a state whose population mostly moved there after WWII. My great, great grandfather was the first superintendent of schools in the state back in 1860. He organized the first school board membership but even so he frequently didn't see eye to eye with them and they'd step outside to settle their differences in a round of fisticuffs. Beat_stick

My other great great grandfather managed the Wells Fargo mail wagon that went around the Bay Area and was also the owner of a hotel in which several ladies of the night plied their trade.

But what I really wanted to say was this. When my husband, whom I met in Los Angeles, took me back to his home in South Carolina to meet his family, he had some very religious aunts who were convinced that because I was from California I was certainly a heathen and constantly ran around half naked in a string bikini and slept with any man who gave me a second look. Hahaha. These aunts are still alive and STILL think I'm that wonton woman from California. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-11-2017, 11:23 AM
(25-11-2017 10:28 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  

Who/where are you?
I'm kind of a forum idiot savant, I'm a 50 yo male from England with a really qwerky sense of humour which frequently gets me in minor bother here but for the most part folks tolerate me pretty well and I like to think I mean well for the most part. Wink
25-11-2017, 11:29 AM
(25-11-2017 11:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 10:28 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  Thanks! I appreciate the welcome and hope to have a good time here. I have frequented forums in the past and know how they work, used to be an admin for a car enthusiast forum for a short time. You don't have to worry about me. Smile

Who/where are you?

I just wanted to mention a little more about my California connections. I'm a 5th generation California which is highly unusual in a state whose population mostly moved there after WWII. My great, great grandfather was the first superintendent of schools in the state back in 1860. He organized the first school board membership but even so he frequently didn't see eye to eye with them and they'd step outside to settle their differences in a round of fisticuffs. Beat_stick

My other great great grandfather managed the Wells Fargo mail wagon that went around the Bay Area and was also the owner of a hotel in which several ladies of the night plied their trade.

But what I really wanted to say was this. When my husband, whom I met in Los Angeles, took me back to his home in South Carolina to meet his family, he had some very religious aunts who were convinced that because I was from California I was certainly a heathen and constantly ran around half naked in a string bikini and slept with any man who gave me a second look. Hahaha. These aunts are still alive and STILL think I'm that wonton woman from California. Laugh out load

So you weren't ever one of the street walkers then. I'm disappointedTongue Wink
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
25-11-2017, 12:13 PM
(25-11-2017 11:12 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 10:28 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  Thanks! I appreciate the welcome and hope to have a good time here. I have frequented forums in the past and know how they work, used to be an admin for a car enthusiast forum for a short time. You don't have to worry about me. Smile

Who/where are you?

That's pretty interesting! I am not from California, and it seems most people I know out here are also not from here. Wherever I live, though, I enjoy reading about the history of the area and local stories.

I grew up in Ohio, which, for people out here, automatically makes me a far-right religious conservative. I am not. I like middle-of-the-road logically thought out politics, and most definitely no longer religious.
[+] 1 user Likes Tennpenn83's post
25-11-2017, 12:50 PM
(25-11-2017 08:01 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  I see where you are coming from. I have had very good discussions with people of faith, and they all seem to be of the same mindset, "How could you not possibly just SEE the hand of God in the world??" It's the same as me saying "How could you not possibly just SEE the evidence of evolution, biology, geology, astronomy, physics, etc...??"

The difference is they choose not to open their eyes to the possibility that they just might be wrong. They see only one side and dismiss the other without even looking. I have at least looked at both sides and come to the conclusion that satisfies me most. And that side is evidence-based.

My only discussions of quality were with atheists. Believers I met IRL were capable mostly of spouting idiocy that would shame chimpanzee of average intelligence. At least when the subject was religion.

As for not considering other side - it's them who wallow in ignorance not me, so I see no reason to care.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-11-2017, 01:15 PM
(25-11-2017 12:50 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 08:01 AM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  I see where you are coming from. I have had very good discussions with people of faith, and they all seem to be of the same mindset, "How could you not possibly just SEE the hand of God in the world??" It's the same as me saying "How could you not possibly just SEE the evidence of evolution, biology, geology, astronomy, physics, etc...??"

The difference is they choose not to open their eyes to the possibility that they just might be wrong. They see only one side and dismiss the other without even looking. I have at least looked at both sides and come to the conclusion that satisfies me most. And that side is evidence-based.

My only discussions of quality were with atheists. Believers I met IRL were capable mostly of spouting idiocy that would shame chimpanzee of average intelligence. At least when the subject was religion.

As for not considering other side - it's them who wallow in ignorance not me, so I see no reason to care.

I am the same way for the most part, as those who I am not close with are less of a "caring" point to me. I still care about my parents, close friends, etc. That's the only reason I care about it as much as I do.
25-11-2017, 01:20 PM
(25-11-2017 01:15 PM)Tennpenn83 Wrote:  
(25-11-2017 12:50 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  My only discussions of quality were with atheists. Believers I met IRL were capable mostly of spouting idiocy that would shame chimpanzee of average intelligence. At least when the subject was religion.

I am the same way for the most part, as those who I am not close with are less of a "caring" point to me. I still care about my parents, close friends, etc. That's the only reason I care about it as much as I do.

Religious beliefs of my family irks me somehow but I can't say that I really care about it. They are free to remainn deluded.

I don't have friends who are believers so no problem here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Welcome..

I lived in Marin County in the mid 80s. Pt. Reyes Station.

Much fun.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post