New member...hello to all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2011, 11:44 AM

New member...hello to all
Hi,

I am a new member trying to process and understand atheism. I was a member of a Pentecostal Church for approximately 20 years. I left the church about 10 years ago but with the fear about the punishment that would await me if I died without Christ. It's crazy how much brainwashing took place in my church and how it still has some sort of effect on me. I am now getting more to the side of reason and questioning the religion I used to follow...well, religion in general. I just don't buy it anymore and want free my mind. I will read around the forum to gain as much knowledge as I can and reprogram my thinking. Thanks to all for this wonderful site.
Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 01:57 PM
RE: New member...hello to all
Hi and welcome.

I recommend this tread.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Hello and welcome. Hope we can help you with questions or just happiness in accepting the lack of a deity in your life. Smile
29-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome to TTAF! We'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Or to just act as a place to vent. We're good at that.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2011, 04:37 PM
(29-01-2011 11:44 AM)mistertonite Wrote:  I am a new member trying to process and understand atheism.

There are threads in this forum that include theists who have come here to try to covert some of us back to religious thinking. When you read these threads you will get to see religious thinking from our point of view, because we point out the flaws in theist arguements. You will find the theist's reactions to our arguements enlightening, if you look at both sides openly.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Thanks to all for your welcome. I just purchased Dan Barker's book "Godless" to start my journey. I can definitely relate to him as he was in deep in the religion.
30-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the forum.
May I be so bold to recommend "The Atheist Experience" , it's a show on public access but the episodes get posted on the net.One of the hosts , Matt Dilahunty trained to be a preacher for over 20 years or so.
Some times theists call in to the show , so you can see debates and arguments for atheism.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
30-01-2011, 09:59 PM

(29-01-2011 01:57 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Hi and welcome.

I recommend this tread.

Thanks for this link...really good
(30-01-2011 10:35 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.
May I be so bold to recommend "The Atheist Experience" , it's a show on public access but the episodes get posted on the net.One of the hosts , Matt Dilahunty trained to be a preacher for over 20 years or so.
Some times theists call in to the show , so you can see debates and arguments for atheism.

Will look it up...thank you Big Grin
30-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Welcome to TTA!

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome! It's nice to know there are people out there who finally decide they WANT to open their minds. Smile

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink