08-07-2011, 06:01 PM

New organ grown from stem cells.
Where is your god now; Smile
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/20...ted/39733/
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like FormorJew's post
08-07-2011, 07:06 PM
RE: New organ grown from stem cells.
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the news. Now I feel confident using sharp tools once again, for if I am to lose an appendage I will be able to make my own out of myself. Welcome to the future. We're going to be like reptiles who can grow back limbs, only we will have to go to a lab for a few hours first. So not as cool, but still pretty sweet.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Only in America do they rob cancer patients of a better life.
Find all posts by this user
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM

(08-07-2011 07:06 PM)lucradis Wrote:  That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the news. Now I feel confident using sharp tools once again, for if I am to lose an appendage I will be able to make my own out of myself. Welcome to the future. We're going to be like reptiles who can grow back limbs, only we will have to go to a lab for a few hours first. So not as cool, but still pretty sweet.

Don't get to excited, they can only grow a windpipe, it is still going to take several years before they can grow hearts and lungs.
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
We have grown hearts with stem cells, but with a scaffold.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
09-07-2011, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011 12:33 AM by DeepThought.)
I wonder what those ultra conservative Christians are thinking now that Europe and their "evil commie universal health care" has beaten the US to the future of medicine.

If it wasn't for people like Bush and those Christians fighting against stem cell research it would be the US that would be leading the way in stem cell technology and treatments. Its amazing how the decisions of one idiot can change the world in such a big way.

@daemonowner
We still have a long way to go with growing organs. Only managed to grow a mouse heart - which is more simple and smaller.. Might still take a while before human hearts can be grown.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
10-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Oh yes! Big Grin The future is sunny and bright! For science! We need more support for these researchers!

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
10-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Man i missed you guys.

This is great news.

Also, the complexity of a mouse heart isn't much different than that of a human.
10-07-2011, 08:13 PM
(08-07-2011 08:27 PM)FormorJew Wrote:  Don't get to excited, they can only grow a windpipe, it is still going to take several years before they can grow heart and lungs.

Oh, I wouldn't say that.

I think there's plenty to be excited about.

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
10-07-2011, 09:04 PM
This is why I haven't bothered to have a second genital surgery =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.