New organ grown from stem cells.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2011, 12:07 AM
RE: New organ grown from stem cells.
This story particularly interested me as lately I've been very interested in age extension research and gerontology (hence Aubrey De Grey in my avatar). I'd like to see a future where stories like this one become completely commonplace. Imagine how high we could push human life expectancy with treatments like this. Wouldn't it be incredible if we could simply have our organs replaced when they grow old and decrepit? After all, that's all ageing really is. Our bodies break down, our organs grow inefficient, and we collect various genetic damages over the courses of our lives. DNA mutations, mitochondrial mutations, cell loss, and cell senescence (when cells lose the ability to divide) can all be repaired by stem cell treatment and organ replacement. Even if organ replacement became an industry, like it does in so many mainstream movies (see Repo Men), wouldn't it be cool if we could simply pay a fee and extend our lifespans as long as we can afford it? Our bodies would be able to stay healthy with periodical treatments and we could continue indulging in our personal interests for as long as we want. As we continue to grow older these treatments will only continue to advance and improve. This may be the period in human history where we learn to extend our lifespans far into the triple digits. It doesn't seem so far fetched when you look at the medical advances being made and what we need to do to combat ageing. You can call it wishful thinking if you want but it seems science is proving otherwise every day.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
(09-07-2011 12:30 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  If it wasn't for people like Bush and those Christians fighting against stem cell research it would be the US that would be leading the way in stem cell technology and treatments. Its amazing how the decisions of one idiot can change the world in such a big way.

Christians have never opposed stem cell research. We only oppose the use of embryoninc stem cells, because the death of an unborn baby is necessary to obtain them. If you read the story you will find that adult stem cells, not embryonic ones, were used.

Quote:A man who developed cancer in his windpipe has gotten a new trachea, grown entirely from his own stem cells over two days in a laboratory in Sweden. The operation is remarkable because it's the first time a completely synthetically grown organ has been transplanted into a patient, The Guardian reported. "The synthetic trachea was created by growing the patient's own stem cells on an artificial 'scaffold', which British scientists helped design.

Here is a site where you can learn more about the effectiveness of using adult stem cells:

http://www.stemcellresearchfacts.org/

(11-07-2011 12:07 AM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Wouldn't it be incredible if we could simply have our organs replaced when they grow old and decrepit?
But what happens when your brain wears out and has to be replaced? Will you still be the same person you were before?

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2011, 12:35 PM
(12-07-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(09-07-2011 12:30 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  If it wasn't for people like Bush and those Christians fighting against stem cell research it would be the US that would be leading the way in stem cell technology and treatments. Its amazing how the decisions of one idiot can change the world in such a big way.

Christians have never opposed stem cell research. We only oppose the use of embryoninc stem cells, because the death of an unborn baby is necessary to obtain them. If you read the story you will find that adult stem cells, not embryonic ones, were used.

Quote:A man who developed cancer in his windpipe has gotten a new trachea, grown entirely from his own stem cells over two days in a laboratory in Sweden. The operation is remarkable because it's the first time a completely synthetically grown organ has been transplanted into a patient, The Guardian reported. "The synthetic trachea was created by growing the patient's own stem cells on an artificial 'scaffold', which British scientists helped design.

Here is a site where you can learn more about the effectiveness of using adult stem cells:

http://www.stemcellresearchfacts.org/

(11-07-2011 12:07 AM)Mindprowler Wrote:  Wouldn't it be incredible if we could simply have our organs replaced when they grow old and decrepit?
But what happens when your brain wears out and has to be replaced? Will you still be the same person you were before?

I know this thread is not about stem cells research, but embryonic research has been proven to be very effective and viable. Adult stem cells are effective with some things, but not everything.

Also, why does replacing organs bother you?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
13-07-2011, 12:25 AM
(12-07-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  But what happens when your brain wears out and has to be replaced? Will you still be the same person you were before?
Maybe parts of it could be replaced/rejuvenated at a time, since that seems to happen anyway, in a sense.
13-07-2011, 02:05 AM
(13-07-2011 12:25 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  But what happens when your brain wears out and has to be replaced? Will you still be the same person you were before?
Maybe parts of it could be replaced/rejuvenated at a time, since that seems to happen anyway, in a sense.
Exactly, rather than replacing the brain completely you would simply maintain it with treatments. Of course this is easier said than done at this point in time but since the processes that cause our brains to "deteriorate" are known it's only a matter of time before we have solutions to work against these processes. We would need to discover ways to clean up intracellular and extracellular junk that builds up over time. Organizations like SENS (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) propose that "junk inside cells might be removed by adding new enzymes to the cell's natural digestion organ, the lysosome. These enzymes would be taken from bacteria, molds and other organisms that are known to completely digest animal bodies.".

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
13-07-2011, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 03:01 AM by DeepThought.)
(12-07-2011 10:54 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

The stuff we do right now with adult stem cells is only possible because of the studies we have done using embryonic cells. Otherwise it would all be a stab in the dark. We wouldn't even know where to begin if it wasn't for the research in embryonic cells.

I don't think a tray of cells is equal to a conscious human being. The Christian arguments against this sort of thing are childish and stupid.

Now if you use any stem cell technology in the future just remember that technology was made possible because the evil scientists murdered (and possibly ate) those 'unborn babies'. If you ever use this technology it will make you a hypocrite.

So if you are ever in the position of being a lifelong cripple or accepting stem cell therapy, remember it was Gods plan for you to be a cripple.

Cheers...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
13-07-2011, 10:13 AM
(12-07-2011 12:35 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I know this thread is not about stem cells research, but embryonic research has been proven to be very effective and viable. Adult stem cells are effective with some things, but not everything.
Can you give any examples of situations where embryonic cells are effective but adult cells aren't?

Quote:Also, why does replacing organs bother you?
I think replacing organs is a good idea. What bothers me is the false accusation that Christians oppose stem cell research.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
13-07-2011, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2011 10:18 PM by DeepThought.)
(13-07-2011 10:13 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 12:35 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I know this thread is not about stem cells research, but embryonic research has been proven to be very effective and viable. Adult stem cells are effective with some things, but not everything.
Can you give any examples of situations where embryonic cells are effective but adult cells aren't?

Quote:Also, why does replacing organs bother you?
I think replacing organs is a good idea. What bothers me is the false accusation that Christians oppose stem cell research.

And then you glossed over my response - which demolishes your argument.

Christians have been and still are interfering where they are not welcome. Meddling with scientific research and science education. Continually misrepresenting science and propagating misinformation as you are now.

How is it that you think we learned how to reprogram adult cells and use them effectively? Blind stabs in the dark? Or did we look at embryonic cells and go: "hmmm what is the difference between these two cells and how can I make these cells behave more like those embryonic cells."

Don't you get it? It's the research using embryonic cells that has pushed this field forward and enabled us to treat people. Of course we aren't using them in therapy because the people who need treatment don't have embryonic cells available.

There are people who store umbilical cord cells for their children in case of future need.

So do the world a favour and refuse any kind of stem cell treatment. Even better - pray instead of seeking medical attention. I'm sick of all the misinformation and rubbish floating around.

Sometimes I feel I have to slam a head against a brick wall to get a point across.

Yep... In case no one noticed I have strong feelings about this sort of stuff. Tongue

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
15-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Embryonic stem cells are always more efficient than adult stem cells. When adult stem cells are used, basically, extra money and time is spent into trying to make the stem cell the same as an embryonic one, and it doesn't always work.

Opposing embryonic stem cell research is stupid. Unless you're also opposed to any and all birth control, then at least you're not a hypocrite. Still stupid though.
Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2011, 12:13 PM
(15-07-2011 10:45 PM)Cdf50 Wrote:  Embryonic stem cells are always more efficient than adult stem cells. When adult stem cells are used, basically, extra money and time is spent into trying to make the stem cell the same as an embryonic one, and it doesn't always work.
What is your souce for this information? I've never heard of this before.

When embryonic stem cells are used there is a possibility that the body will reject them just as it tries to reject transplanted organs. Therapies that use adult stem cells normally use cells taken from the patient's own body so there isn't any danger of rejection. If you are right about the extra work and expense involved, wouldn't it still be worth it to avoid the possibility of rejection?

Quote:Opposing embryonic stem cell research is stupid. Unless you're also opposed to any and all birth control, then at least you're not a hypocrite. Still stupid though.
What does the use of embryonic cells have to do with birth control?