New response video to the Miss USA evolution video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
RE: New response video to the Miss USA evolution video
(01-07-2011 12:51 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  When do we ever do this? We don't let kids decide if they want to believe in chemistry or alchemy. We don't say that maybe the sun is the center of the solar system, maybe the Earth is. It's not astrology or astronomy. We teach facts in school, we don't present every idea conceived of and let the children decide what they want to believe as fact.

I agree with you 100%. We need to teach facts, not fiction, in schools. I can't imagine the confusion that would result, not to mention the fights, by bringing mythology into schools and claiming they are facts.

Also, if such atrocious stupidity were to occur, image the friction it would cause with people of other faiths. Our inner city schools ( where most mixed populations are ) would become worse battle grounds than they are now!

The more that scientific proof is exposed to kids, the more likely they are to figure out that there is no divine zombie. And that, my friends, is what is scaring the churches most these days. I was taught evolution in 4th grade, but I was aware of it before that. It was taught as a fact, not a theory, and most all of the kids openly accepted it that way. Back in those days, I was forced to go to Sunday school, and that's where the ~#!+ hit the fan! ( I, of coarse, always got blamed for it. Tongue ) I just couldn't buy that Adam & Eve crap. Even as a little kid, that just sounded tooooooooo ridiculous!

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow.

I only watched half of it and was shocked. I mean, it doesn't make sense. As bad as the percentages of evolution-accepting people in the U.S. are, they still put them at over a third. The people in the video are either reinforcing the stereotype of beauty queens' stupidity, or some of the contestants fudged their answers have a better chance at winning. Either way, it's still sad.
Sad
06-07-2011, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 07:11 PM by blasphemy fan.)
Wink RE: New response video to the Miss USA evolution video
(05-07-2011 08:37 PM)Atheist Wrote:  Wow.

I only watched half of it and was shocked. I mean, it doesn't make sense. As bad as the percentages of evolution-accepting people in the U.S. are, they still put them at over a third. The people in the video are either reinforcing the stereotype of beauty queens' stupidity, or some of the contestants fudged their answers have a better chance at winning. Either way, it's still sad.
Sad

I think you hit the nail on the head right there. Playing the "god card" to win. Really would have backfired for them all had the judges been a panel of atheists! Cool ( unfortunately, it never is!)

Just for someone to feel it necessary to play that card tells you what something about the (at least supposed) psychological makeup of the majority of this country. I can't imagine the math behind that many of the YOUNG contestants actually believing that!

I found this chart @ http://www.scribd.com/doc/17374733/Who-A...-Agnostics dated 2001.

I just realized that I captured the wrong graph! I was in a hurry this morning on the way to work, and snagged the wrong one!

So, Let's try this again!!!!!!!!!

This makes it hard to believe that those young, educated(?) girls were telling the truth. Seems more like the "god card" to me.

[Image: ageatheist2.png]

Coming tomorrow;
Diet be Damned...
Back to drinking coffee BEFORE starting computer! Confused

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM

(29-06-2011 10:32 PM)LarryT Wrote:  BC,
several weeks ago, i would have cried at the first and laughed at the second. now i can only cry.

i didn't watch the whole video, because math is ridiculously boring. But yea, the way she explained the cluster problems thing.

That's how i've been doing math in my head since i was a kid D; it's just easier for me that way.

But yea, PEOPLE. WHAT DO YOU GUYS EXPECT? They're women who dedicate their lives to looking good. Academia isn't exactly their priority.

Who's dumber? Them or the people that endorse them?
Quote this message in a reply