New sax day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 08:01 PM
New sax day
I got a my new alto sax, a yamaha YAS63 in silver. It plays so much better than my 30-something year old Bundy II. It is surprisingly heavy compared to the old one. I guess that is part of the difference between a student horn and an intermediate horn. No more air leaks and the action is much nicer. So happy. I got rehearsal tomorrow. First one of the Christmas season.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like wazzel's post
15-10-2014, 08:32 PM
RE: New sax day
Wow. I'm pretty sure I played a Bundy in high school! It was a couple of years ago so I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly. Rolleyes But that name really rings a bell.

Congrats on your new music maker. That's cool. I'm planning on getting a new acoustic here in the near future, I need something to have sitting around the living room to encourage me to keep my chops up.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
15-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Cool. My acoustic is just a bit younger than my old sax. IIRC I got it when I was in 10th grade. I am 43 now.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
15-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Nice! I'm just starting to learn alto sax and have a second-hand Yamaha student model. (I'm on my third clarinet, though, and just made the jump to a professional model.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
16-10-2014, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 06:42 AM by wazzel.)
(15-10-2014 10:27 PM)Astreja Wrote:  Nice! I'm just starting to learn alto sax and have a second-hand Yamaha student model. (I'm on my third clarinet, though, and just made the jump to a professional model.)

Cool, clarinet is on my list of instruments to learn. My oldest plays clarinet so I kind of have access to one, but she is not real good about bringing it home this time of year. She is in the guard so they play for band class, but she is not graded on her playing until marching season ends. So it tends to stay at school.

We have a French horn coming later this month. My middle plays that. She has been using a school horn since she started and it looks like she will stick with it so we got her a horn. I played French horn for two years in HS so once I have access to that I think I am going to try to re-learn it also.

My youngest plays trumpet. He is two years into it and looking forward to getting to high school so he can be in that band. He already asked if an upgrade is possible when he is in HS. It really depends if he intends to stick with it.
16-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Enjoy your sax.

I love sound of the alto sax. I think it's my favorite.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2014, 08:57 AM
(16-10-2014 08:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Enjoy your sax.

You're a sax fiend?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-10-2014, 09:09 AM
(16-10-2014 08:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Enjoy your sax.

Thanks, I plan on getting as many years of service out of this one as I did the last one (1984-2014). There are some people in the community band in their 80's so I may have to get closer to 40 years out of this one.
20-10-2014, 08:35 AM
The old sax is still getting service. One of the kids in the high school band had his register key fall off on Thursday. My daughter got my wife to run the old sax to school so he could have an instrument for the game on Friday and the festival on Saturday. I let the kid know he could hold onto it until his was fixed. I would have let him use it even if I had not gotten the new one, as long as I could have it for Thursday night (my rehearsal night). Good thing it has not sold yet.
20-10-2014, 08:44 AM
(16-10-2014 08:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I love sound of the alto sax. I think it's my favorite.

Heresy. I play tenor.

... this is my signature!