New statue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
New statue
I recently discovered a store known as "Earth Bound Trading Co." while on vacation. It has all sorts of really neat decor crafted all over the world. One item that caught my eye was a 2 ft. tall solid wood statue of the Buddha carved in Bali. I really liked it because it was in the Gupta style and included elements from ancient Chinese/Japanese Buddhist art. Although the original price tag was just south of $400, I managed to get it on sale for $50! The pictures I took don't do it justice because the only light source was the dining room chandelier (plus my camera is crappy in low light situations). I'll try to get some natural light pictures during the day time.

[Image: 4o4y.jpg]

[Image: sip6.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
11-07-2013, 09:54 PM
RE: New statue
It was on sale originally for $400 and you got it for $50?
Assuming they're still making a profit off your $50, it goes to show how much they mark these things up... Dodgy

Still, it's a very nice carving. There's heaps of these things around here considering our Asian population.
I must say, Buddha is a far finer looking thing to have in ones home then ugly Korean Jesus.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
11-07-2013, 10:04 PM
(11-07-2013 09:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It was on sale originally for $400 and you got it for $50?
Assuming they're still making a profit off your $50, it goes to show how much they mark these things up... Dodgy

Still, it's a very nice carving. There's heaps of these things around here considering our Asian population.
I must say, Buddha is a far finer looking thing to have in ones home then ugly Korean Jesus.

It was one of many Buddha statues that were on sale. I honestly think they marked them down so much because no one was buying them. The store was located in a town with a high Southern Baptist population.

I agree. I would rather have a Buddha than a sinicized Jesus.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2013, 08:56 PM
According to some Zenists in China, Buddhism is atheism, and Buddha is a philosopher whose teaching is to lead people into the way people can get rid of the pains in life themselves. So the statue is great.

And if you were in China, and you had managed to get something for 50 which was originally 400, maybe 20 could have been the bottom line ... But anyway, according to Buddha's teachings, I am holding the delusive mark of things instead of the essence.

So ... are you willing to give me 50 or at least five since that all are just some delusive marks ? Smile

Want something? Then do something.
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Bodhi Dharma is best bodhisattva. That just looks like a statue of ol' Guatama himself.

... this is my signature!