New study says 30 minutes of exercise a day is not enough.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
New study says 30 minutes of exercise a day is not enough.
Quote:If you're among of the millions of Americans who dutifully carve out 30 minutes a day for the moderate-intensity exercise recommended by experts based on the idea that you're doing all you can for your heart, you're in for some disappointing news.

A new analysis published Monday in the journal Circulation finds that that amount of activity may not be good enough.

Link.

Thoughts? Makes sense that you'd need to work more for optimal heart health.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: New study says 30 minutes of exercise a day is not enough.
I think more physical activity is optimal. We all live a very sedate existence in modern society. I try and change that by taking the stairs or parking my car a little further away when running errands. I have several rescue dogs and taking them for walks two times a day (as opposed to getting a dog walker like several of my neighbors do) is a good way to ensure that I'm getting out and getting at least that activity for the day. I also do little walk/run sprints with one of my dogs who really likes that. I hike on occasion and try and get some yoga in every day. I think fitting exercise in where you can is a good way to maintain health.

I do think these studies, while informative, can also be detrimental to some people who may decide to give up on even doing 30 minutes of exercise a day as they may see it as "not really doing anything."
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
06-10-2015, 11:02 AM
In the study, the subject self reported physical activity. My guess is that they over reported physical activity, but without the study, I don't know if they found a way to "correct" for that. The other question is "good enough" for what? You will never decrease your risk of coronary artery disease to 0.

If there is anything we know about coronary artery disease is that it is not closed case, we will learn more about the risk factors and have to adjust as such. In the mean time, reduce consumption of saturated fats (except maybe stearic acid), increase consumption of unsaturated fats, control your blood pressure and weight, and exercise as much as you can. Until the next set of findings...
[+] 4 users Like Iñigo's post
06-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Jim Fixx.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-10-2015, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 12:47 PM by Adrianime.)
Hmm. 30 minutes a day is already more than 90% of Americans I'm sure. I walk a few miles each day at least, and 3 times a week do DDR (it's an exercise, believe me)...I know I don't do enough, but I feel pretty good Tongue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
(06-10-2015 10:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think more physical activity is optimal. We all live a very sedate existence in modern society. I try and change that by taking the stairs or parking my car a little further away when running errands. I have several rescue dogs and taking them for walks two times a day (as opposed to getting a dog walker like several of my neighbors do) is a good way to ensure that I'm getting out and getting at least that activity for the day. I also do little walk/run sprints with one of my dogs who really likes that. I hike on occasion and try and get some yoga in every day. I think fitting exercise in where you can is a good way to maintain health.

I do think these studies, while informative, can also be detrimental to some people who may decide to give up on even doing 30 minutes of exercise a day as they may see it as "not really doing anything."

Why don't you become THEIR dog walker and make some $$ on it. I get 15% of the cut though since I came up with the idea.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
06-10-2015, 02:20 PM
(06-10-2015 02:17 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(06-10-2015 10:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think more physical activity is optimal. We all live a very sedate existence in modern society. I try and change that by taking the stairs or parking my car a little further away when running errands. I have several rescue dogs and taking them for walks two times a day (as opposed to getting a dog walker like several of my neighbors do) is a good way to ensure that I'm getting out and getting at least that activity for the day. I also do little walk/run sprints with one of my dogs who really likes that. I hike on occasion and try and get some yoga in every day. I think fitting exercise in where you can is a good way to maintain health.

Why don't you become THEIR dog walker and make some $$ on it. I get 15% of the cut though since I came up with the idea.

Laugh out load
06-10-2015, 02:23 PM
(06-10-2015 11:02 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  In the study, the subject self reported physical activity. My guess is that they over reported physical activity, but without the study, I don't know if they found a way to "correct" for that. The other question is "good enough" for what? You will never decrease your risk of coronary artery disease to 0.

This is exactly what I thought when i read this. A self-report seems like it may not be the most reliable way to report.. I would especially think this to be true with regards to reporting -exercise-. My inclination (which could be completely incorrect) would lean towards the desire people have to be seen as "better" than what they are, even if no one would actually be reading the individual data. It's almost like a false misrepresentation to trick themselves into thinking they are doing more than what they really are.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
06-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Compared to being sedentary, 30 min / day is gonna put you light years ahead. Well... 4-8 km ahead anyway Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-10-2015, 03:51 PM
30 minutes a day for whom?
What kind of workout?
What are the goals set?
What kind of condition was the respondent in to begin with etc etc.

Depending upon the exercise and physical abilities of the person involved, 30 minutes is not bad.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post