New testament and Jesus debate help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 10:05 PM
RE: New testament and Jesus debate help
At the risk of coming across as blatantly self-interested, I might suggest you start by reading my book to get some background facts; Manifest Insanity, a satirical history of Judeo-Christian doctrines. My book is available on Apple, or Smashwords for kindle or pdf versions.

For a 40-minute synopsis of the kind of info I present, you can check out this video of my presentation to my local atheist group.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 02:12 AM
(30-07-2013 03:14 PM)curse666 Wrote:  Hi everybody, first post here.
Welcome. I'm new too.
Quote:I'm an atheist, and I've fallen in love with a gf who was born into a Christian family.
My condolences. Been there.
Quote:PS. If anybody has been in a similar situation before, I would appreciate any tips on how best debate without destroying the relationship Thumbsup
With kindness, and only when you must. If she's a believer and she feels you are attacking her beliefs, she will also feel like you are attacking her family, most of her social network, and a set of ideas she has internalized as part of her very soul. Sorry pal, but it's very unlikely she'll pick you over all that. So, be nice. Even go to church with her sometimes, if that seems appropriate. If she asks you about your beliefs, don't be wishy-washy, because if she sees you waver she might try to make you a pet project for conversion, and later feel like you led her on.

I have to say one more thing, based on my own experience. Be prepared for this relationship to end. She might not leave you because you're an atheist, but if she gets upset about something else, your atheism will not help when she's considering her options.

Good luck. I sincerely hope it works out for both of you.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
(30-07-2013 03:14 PM)curse666 Wrote:  Hi everybody, first post here.

I'm an atheist, and I've fallen in love with a gf who was born into a Christian family. We've already gotten into several "discussions" about religion, and because of this I've started educating myself more about the religion's shortcomings and debate material, which is why I came here.

I've read a lot about the Old testament crimes, and the contradictions in the bible, but I was hoping people here can give me more information about how to debate these two topics.

"I believe in the New testament." and the whole topic of "Jesus is great, resurrection, taking sin for all of humanity, etc etc."

Thanks for all the help!

PS. If anybody has been in a similar situation before, I would appreciate any tips on how best debate without destroying the relationship Thumbsup
Regarding the New Testament, the God of Christianity exists outside time. When that God makes laws, they apply just as much to today and to the future as they did when first made known to humans. Therefore, the Old Testament is just as applicable today as it was before the New Testament. Furthermore, Jesus himself said he came to fulfill the law, not to abolish it. (Matthew 5:17)

The second topic is more difficult to get most Christians to change their minds about. But I usually start by arguing that Jesus' death for original sin makes no sense at all. Christians say Adam and Eve disobeyed God which resulted in original sin and in closing the gates to Heaven. Jesus' death supposedly reopened the gates and removed the condition of original sin, leaving us with only our own sins. But why would this even be true? How could his death somehow make up for Adam and Eve's transgression? At the very least, shouldn't Adam and Eve be the ones with the consequence? Or, stretching with the concept of original sin, shouldn't it be humanity that gets the consequence? How does God taking human form and dying somehow make God reopen the gates for all of humanity? If it was all up to God anyway, why would he go through all that? Wouldn't he just reopen the gates?

And what's with original sin anyway? Adam and Eve eat an apple against God's rules and suddenly all of humanity gets original sin. Ok, eating the apple was disobedient and a mild punishment might even have been in order, but it's not like they murdered a bunch of people or something. Yet all of humanity was imposed upon with original sin even though they had nothing to do with it! Nice guy that God is... Well, in the story of Noah's ark, God murdered EVERYONE - men, women, children, babies, animals. It didn't matter whether they were innocent or guilty. Something tells me Christians don't believe the whole spirit world wasn't imposed upon with original sin when Gawd did that. But I've never met a Christian that didn't believe in the Noah's ark tale.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
(30-07-2013 03:14 PM)curse666 Wrote:  PS. If anybody has been in a similar situation before, I would appreciate any tips on how best debate without destroying the relationship Thumbsup

erm.. how about letting this girl be a Christian if she wants to be a Christian?

it's called "tolerance"
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM
(04-08-2013 02:58 PM)Len Wrote:  
(30-07-2013 03:14 PM)curse666 Wrote:  PS. If anybody has been in a similar situation before, I would appreciate any tips on how best debate without destroying the relationship Thumbsup

erm.. how about letting this girl be a Christian if she wants to be a Christian?

it's called "tolerance"

The question is about the relationship, not about her belief per se.

Some people cannot have (or do not want) a stable believer/non-believer relationship, some can and do.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user