New to Atheism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 05:28 PM
New to Atheism...
Hi all! As my subject states I'm new to atheism. I'm a black Caribbean Christian raised female. To make a long journey short, my teenage years were filled with turmoil, guilt & fear about hell (for myself and others) & feelings of inadequacy against Gods standards. The more I tried to strengthen my faith (cuz I was obviously backsliding in my doubt) & make sense of the awful horrid and nonsensical things in the Bible, the more it fell apart. I reached a point where I could no longer reconcile science and reason to the Bible or any holy book for that matter and at the age of 26 I realized I was an agnostic/atheist (still trying to figure out those terms and where I fit). Where I stand currently: I can't say for certain a god doesn't exist, but I HIGHLY doubt it, & if a god does exist he's a giant asshole.

I'm a mom & nursing student. I'm always asking questions, researching and seeking as whole a picture as possible.

I found this site because I'm surrounded by religion in my family and a lot of my friends are religious. I have told a few friends directly I lack belief in gods and don't believe any holy books, but my family is more difficult to tackle. Also even though my friends are accepting, I don't have anyone to talk to about the disconnect I'm feeling from the people around me..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Infront_of_the_Veil2's post
22-10-2016, 05:30 PM
RE: New to Atheism...
Welcome!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Welcome to your new home, you sound like someone who will fit right in.Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
22-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Welcome to TTA.

You'll be shocked to learn how common your story is, once you're here a while.

It's one of the most freeing parts of leaving religion behind-- they make you feel like you're alone (except for JAYZUS!) in your struggle to find the truth, and then you get here and realize all that pain, all that effort... you weren't even unusual!

And that's what Christianity seems to be, in a nutshell: convince a perfectly normal person that there's something wrong with them and then sell them the solution.

A bit like the cosmetics industry, really.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
22-10-2016, 07:43 PM
Welcome, In Front of the Veil. Great handle! Is it a reference to having truth held behind a veil with religion, now that you are not behind it? Nice, if that is the case.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-10-2016, 07:51 PM
(22-10-2016 07:43 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Welcome, In Front of the Veil. Great handle! Is it a reference to having truth held behind a veil with religion, now that you are not behind it? Nice, if that is the case.

It is! Glad you caught it
22-10-2016, 07:53 PM
(22-10-2016 07:26 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

You'll be shocked to learn how common your story is, once you're here a while.

It's one of the most freeing parts of leaving religion behind-- they make you feel like you're alone (except for JAYZUS!) in your struggle to find the truth, and then you get here and realize all that pain, all that effort... you weren't even unusual!

And that's what Christianity seems to be, in a nutshell: convince a perfectly normal person that there's something wrong with them and then sell them the solution.

A bit like the cosmetics industry, really.

I have read stories online just like mine and it is nice to know I'm not the only one whose gone through this
[+] 2 users Like Infront_of_the_Veil2's post
22-10-2016, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about the labels. They don't matter very much.

Pull up a seat and join the fun.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post