New to Atheism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2016, 10:05 PM
New to Atheism...
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: New to Atheism...
Hello.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Hello! Big Grin

Hug
23-10-2016, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2016 09:05 PM by RogueWarrior.)
(22-10-2016 05:28 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  Hi all! As my subject states I'm new to atheism. I'm a black Caribbean Christian raised female. To make a long journey short, my teenage years were filled with turmoil, guilt & fear about hell (for myself and others) & feelings of inadequacy against Gods standards. The more I tried to strengthen my faith (cuz I was obviously backsliding in my doubt) & make sense of the awful horrid and nonsensical things in the Bible, the more it fell apart. I reached a point where I could no longer reconcile science and reason to the Bible or any holy book for that matter and at the age of 26 I realized I was an agnostic/atheist (still trying to figure out those terms and where I fit). Where I stand currently: I can't say for certain a god doesn't exist, but I HIGHLY doubt it, & if a god does exist he's a giant asshole.

I'm a mom & nursing student. I'm always asking questions, researching and seeking as whole a picture as possible.

I found this site because I'm surrounded by religion in my family and a lot of my friends are religious. I have told a few friends directly I lack belief in gods and don't believe any holy books, but my family is more difficult to tackle. Also even though my friends are accepting, I don't have anyone to talk to about the disconnect I'm feeling from the people around me..

Welcome indeed!
Religions discourage questions so no wonder you had trouble.
Since atheism only tells you one thing about a person, i can tell that our group here has quite the mix of worldviews.
And for real variety, we have douchebags too (they know who they are).

You reached atheism faster than I did. I was a deist at 18 that considered all religions very stupid since they tended to be mutually contradictory. They can't all be right, but they CAN all be wrong. Eventually talking to an imaginary 'friend' became silly ... hence atheism. Which made me realize that I am a skeptic and that be a good thing.
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
23-10-2016, 01:43 PM
welcome! How do you like the view this side of the veil?
23-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Welcome! Roll up your sleeves and jump right into a conversation. I'll be looking forward to reading your input. Smile
23-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Greetings.
24-10-2016, 02:17 AM
(22-10-2016 05:28 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  Hi all! As my subject states I'm new to atheism. I'm a black Caribbean Christian raised female.
Well, in the '80s the gods did indeed live in the Caribbean,
Clive Lloyd
Viv Richards
Richie Richardson
Malcolm Marshall
Courtney Walsh
Joel Garner
etc.

I certainly look forward to, one day, perhaps, the Windies coming back to their past glory.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I can't imagine what you are going through with the Christian thing, I hear it can be pretty horrendous in certain places and in devout families.
24-10-2016, 03:12 AM
Yup, welcome to the family! Big Grin

There care good people here who will do their best to guide and look after you.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
24-10-2016, 07:37 AM
G'day, and welcome to the forums mate. Smile

(22-10-2016 05:28 PM)Infront_of_the_Veil2 Wrote:  [...] Where I stand currently: I can't say for certain a god doesn't exist, but I HIGHLY doubt it, & if a god does exist he's a giant asshole.

In my opinion, this would imply you're agnostic. Which can sometimes be a transition "stage" towards atheism. I can agree however, hypothetically, if the Abrahamic god existed as described in the Bible, then he/she would be a total posterior passage.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.