New to Atheism after struggling with mental health issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 09:32 AM
RE: New to Atheism after struggling with mental health issues
Welcome!
My sympathies for your troubles. You will find a lot of support here. Many have been traumatized by religion. You are definitely not alone.
You should also seek out local atheist groups for extra support. The Meetup website shows seven atheist/humanist groups in your area. There is also Atheist Nexus, and also the website canadianatheist.com. I hope you find many places to feel welcome and supported in you recovery. Enjoy your liberation.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
29-11-2013, 10:33 AM
(29-11-2013 09:32 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  Welcome!
My sympathies for your troubles. You will find a lot of support here. Many have been traumatized by religion. You are definitely not alone.
You should also seek out local atheist groups for extra support. The Meetup website shows seven atheist/humanist groups in your area. There is also Atheist Nexus, and also the website canadianatheist.com. I hope you find many places to feel welcome and supported in you recovery. Enjoy your liberation.

Thanks No Sky Daddy!,

It is a little hard for me to find time to mingle with atheists as I have a wife and kids to spend time with, I am subscribed to the meetup page and hope to find something that's convenient soon. My wife is a nominal believer so it would just be me attending one of those. I am also a little hesitant to become too involved for two reasons: I used to be heavily involved in arguing against other Christians and Atheists when I was a Christian and my family suffered because of it AND I find Bill Maher somehow compelling when he says that what's attractive to atheism is that it requires so little of your time, I know many here would disagree
I hope to become slowly involved here on the net and maybe later when I have more time in actual face to face groups.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
01-12-2013, 10:57 PM
I would refrain from putting any weight on posts that suggest for you to do things. I hope you have health insurance in which case you should be in regular therapy. If you're in Canada it can be a little more difficult. You need to be in therapy and making yourself an expert on psychology. I suggest you start with John Gottman. He will definitely help you with your relationship. As for becoming an atheist, you need to be replacing that weekly time in Church with something else from a psychological viewpoint. You need some kind of community. Try looking for local clubs and things.
[+] 1 user Likes Ryanshidyak's post
07-12-2013, 05:49 AM
One man's psychosis is another man's inspiration. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post