New to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 12:36 PM
New to atheism
Where do I begin? It's hard to say, but i think I've always been an atheist, I just didn't realize it until a few weeks ago. I was raised a Protestant Christian and even as a small boy I was smelling bullcrap. Nothing I was taught made sense, but I still believed in god, there had to be a god that created everything. I looked for answers elsewhere, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam, Wicca, Buddhism, etc. I learned a great deal, there were many things that I liked, that made sense, but most of the time I was still smelling crap. I hated having defend things like hell and divinely ordained genocide, rape and slavery. It felt so dirty, cult like and evil. I have spent my life trying to find the Truth, the right religion, spending countless hours studying, praying and even crying, begging god to reveal himself to me, to point me in the right direction. And god gave me the answer! God answered my prayer - with nothing! I believe that nothing is the answer to all those prayers, that there is no god. In just the last few weeks, I am enjoying life more, I'm not living in fear of choosing the wrong faith. Life, each day is more precious than it was before. I am happier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Guardian0's post
22-03-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: New to atheism
Welcome! I was raised in Christianity as well, and up until four years ago roughly, I was practicing it, following it, mainly going through the motions? It was a rather long-ish process to get to where I'm now, with it all.

Hope you enjoy the forums! Smile

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
22-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
22-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Welcome. Another addtion to make this world better.

Want something? Then do something.
22-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Welcome. I am P/F. I can say that this forum is sort of like a family. If you have questions on zoology come to me.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
22-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Welcome! I'm a recent Christian de-convert. I can relate to the new sense of awesome you're feeling! (Well, when I don't have a cold)

Pull up a seat and haz fun!
22-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Welcome to reality, Guardian. And welcome to the forum! It's always good to see a rational mind be able to fold religion up into a neat pile, and put it away as a memory. I'm sure you're finding that everything makes a whole lot more sense not that you don't have to justify irrational superstitions.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Actually, I've decided I might want to adopt buddhist values and follow the eightfold path.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
23-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Welcome welcome, if you have any questions on the various ways of preparing babies or what to serve them with feel free to ask me Evil_monster

But in all seriousness welcome. Laugh out load

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user