Welcome to our humble abode!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2017, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 07:09 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
RE: New to the Forum
Hey there, and welcome!

I think you'll find your story is surprisingly common, around here. I say this because it's easy to feel Very, Very Alone™ when you finally wake up and realize that your entire social circle is just practicing what amounts to a set of cult beliefs, and you realize you cannot in good conscience continue believing (and spreading) the lies.

As Richard Dawkins once said, "If you have a faith, it is statistically overwhelmingly likely that it is the same faith as your parents and grandparents had. No doubt soaring cathedrals, stirring music, moving stories and parables, help a bit. But by far the most important variable determining your religion is the accident of birth. The convictions that you so passionately believe would have been a completely different, and largely contradictory, set of convictions, if only you had happened to be born in a different place. Epidemiology, not evidence." [Edit to Add: He wrote it, not said it... it's from his book, Viruses of the Mind.]

We have a couple of really good threads about (real, academic) Biblical history and problems with Christian theology, most especially GoodWithoutGod's resource thread, linked below:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

I'm glad you have some support in your real life-- most of us from the Bible Belt know all too well that such is rarely the case. I'm also glad to hear your eldest made it out. My sons are being raised Methodist by their Christian mom and my very religious in-laws, and I'm not interfering directly... partly so they can't make me out to be the bad guy, and partly because Methodists don't deny science, so I'm less worried about the magical woo-woo. My eldest is a natural skeptic-- he even watches me cook so I can't slip anything of which he does not approve into the food-- and so I have been encouraging him at every point to disbelieve what he is told unless there is proof or really good evidence, and to always question that evidence, even if he likes what he hears. (Mainly in reference to things the other kids claim are true, at school, when he comes to ask me about it-- I don't tell him it's wrong, I say "Well maybe you and I should look that up?" I've taught him the joy of Mythbusters-- and Wikipedia and Snopes.com and other debunking websites.)

As an ex-Southern Baptist, I cannot agree more strongly with you about the joy of realizing the shackles you had wrapped around your mind, and to finally see the world without wearing those filter-glasses over everything. In all its awfulness and wonder, the world is far more amazing when you look at it in terms of what we do and do not actually know-- learning to say "Well, I don't know, but I'll find out the truth if I can" is the most liberating thing in the world.

Welcome again to TTA. These are a good group of people, and I think you'll fit right in. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
18-06-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: New to the Forum
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.