New to the Site

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2010, 12:19 PM
New to the Site
Hello everybody!
I'm a new user to this site, although I have known about it for a little while. I'll just say a few words about myself here. I grew up in a small town in the middle of nowhere in northern British Columbia, Canada, where I grew up in a fairly neutral household. I was never indoctrinated into a religion, and therefore I have grown up as a curious skeptic. I actually never had very much contact with religion until I went to university in southern Alberta (one of Canada's backwards, ultra-religious areas) and encountered people who actually still believed in religion. That's when I realised that I was an atheist.

So that's a bit about me. I hope to meet many like-minded people and have some interesting discussions ^.^

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2010, 12:27 PM
RE: New to the Site
Welcome to the site! =D I'm sure you'll like it here! We've got a lot of fun topics going on. =P

(26-08-2010 12:19 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I actually never had very much contact with religion until I went to university in southern Alberta (one of Canada's backwards, ultra-religious areas) and encountered people who actually still believed in religion.

The fact that the ultra-religious part of the country is considered backwards amazed me. =P In Kentucky, the "backwards" community is basically everyone who isn't a Christian. It's good to know there are actually parts of the world out there that are reasonable. xP

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Welcome to TTAF! Glad to have you with us.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome from a fellow Canuck.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
26-08-2010, 09:56 PM
(26-08-2010 12:19 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  I actually never had very much contact with religion until I went to university in southern Alberta (one of Canada's backwards, ultra-religious areas) and encountered people who actually still believed in religion.

I didn't know such a place existed, but then again I'm from Ontario, the superior province. Smile

Anyhow, nice to see another Canadian in the mix, welcome!

30-08-2010, 02:35 PM
(26-08-2010 09:56 PM)Green Wrote:  I didn't know such a place existed, but then again I'm from Ontario, the superior province. Smile

Ha, I'd have to argue with you there; BC is much more superior! (This being said from someone who hasn't been east of Alberta Tongue) Anyways, I too had no idea such a place existed in Canada, but southern Alberta has the largest population of Mormons in Canada, and 76% (the last census taken that I could find) of Lethbridge is Christian o.0 However, due to the large university population there, there are quite a few atheists, but they aren't very visible.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
06-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty new here too. This is my 3rd post