New to the atheist community...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
New to the atheist community...
Ok, so my story is pretty much the same as most but not at all spectacular. I was taught about God/Jesus, whatever, as a small child and was even sent to Catholic school for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. When we moved and I ended up in the public school system I was forced to attend Sunday school, which funny enough was actually on a Monday night! I went so far as to become "confirmed" as a tween but never really, truly, fully felt the presence of God or anything. For the most part I was a kid who believed in God but hated having to go to church and listen to stuffy old men talk about forgiveness and how we had to confess our sins to them. I even shudder now at the fact I sat in a confessional telling an old man I was having "impure thoughts" thinking it was a good thing for a little boy to be telling a stranger.

As I grew up I pretty much stayed that way. Believed in the back of my mind but never went to church or said stupid things like, "You're going to hell for not believing!". As I came on to the internet and started into the whole "truther" thing and learned more about how the world actually worked I got scared at the thought of "satanic NWOers out to get God fearing Christians" and got heavily into Creationism type stuff for a SHORT time. Then I watched some videos from guys like Aron Ra and came to my senses and finally realized religion is all bullshit. I even took the bull by the horns and decided to test myself against the all mighty Lord and called for him to show me any sign at all and I would be his servant. When nothing happened I stated, out loud, the unforgivable sin of denouncing and rejecting God outright. Mo body actually became quite a bit uncomfortable when I was doing this and any other person probably would have taken that as the sign and stopped, and fell to their knees, but I instinctively knew I was forcefully rejecting a part of my psyche that had been with me for so long. That was maybe a couple years ago and since then I have been trying to soak up as much knowledge about the way our world and universe works! I'm hoping to use this forum more often and get advice from other like minded people as I do have one or two challenges ahead that I can see. Thanks for reading my story!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like illegalmonkey's post
08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
RE: New to the atheist community...
Welcome to the forum.

Leave pants and keys in the bowl.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Nice to have you here.

Luc, I don't think monkeys wear pants.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
They will.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Oh, good point.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-06-2012, 11:23 PM
That is part of my plan for world domination.

Train 4 monkeys to wear Suits, eat crumpets and sit around a fireplace. They will offer crumpets and tea to anyone passing by in a fake british accent.

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
08-06-2012, 11:28 PM
(08-06-2012 11:23 PM)itsacow Wrote:  That is part of my plan for world domination.

Train 4 monkeys to wear Suits, eat crumpets and sit around a fireplace. They will offer crumpets and tea to anyone passing by in a fake british accent.

By why would anyone pass by with a fake British Accent? I don't imagine a lot of people walk around with fake accents on a regular basis.

~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
08-06-2012, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Sometimes discovering the truth can mean we have to be brave, looks like you have been Smile
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Years ago, a friend of mine had me watch an episode of the Simpsons where someone was disputing evolution. My favorite line from that show was Bart stating in his matter-of-fact way, "God/schmod, I want my monkey man."

Hi Illegalmonkey -I'm glad you've found the forum... and of course, your senses. We're all pretty relaxed around here much of the time. A Theist or two usually hang around -they seem ok- I think they are just trying to figure their own shit out... as are we all.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-06-2012, 07:23 AM
What Lucradis said.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]