New to the forum, newer to atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 11:51 PM
New to the forum, newer to atheism
First of all... I'm glad I'm finally on an atheist forum, with people who will be much more prone to understand how I feel about things.
ANYWAY...
It's been about six months since I began to consider myself an atheist. It took me a while after becoming an atheist to realize that I need to adjust so many other things in my life as a result of removing my Jesus glasses. This has turned out to be the most difficult part of the process for me. As soon as I finally started to seek knowledge and develop my own opinions, I began seeking out more internet resources and stumbled upon shows like The Atheist Experience, which lead me to Dogma Debate, which led me to The Thinking Atheist and a few others. Assets like these helped me to accept my status as an atheist and strip away so many things that Jesus had been piling onto me for so many years.

Thank god for the internet and podcasts...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes hellbound'n'proud's post
18-04-2013, 01:57 AM
RE: New to the forum, newer to atheism
Welcome, Hellbound.

Only six months huh, geez we're gettin' a whole buncha rookies these days. Whatever the case, it's always good to see a new person, especially one that has recently come to their senses.

So, tell us, what made you drop your faith on the side-walk like the baggage it is and call yourself atheist?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
18-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
18-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Take it easy and carry on. Welcome.

Want something? Then do something.
18-04-2013, 08:34 AM
(18-04-2013 01:57 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So, tell us, what made you drop your faith on the side-walk like the baggage it is and call yourself atheist?

Once I stopped having strongly emotional experiences in 'the presence of Christ' in Eucharistic adoration, I slowly drifted away into religious complacency. At this point I still considered myself Catholic, and did until I stumbled across the debate with Christopher Hitchens/Stephen Fry vs. the Catholic church, which was the last nail in the coffin. Something about the way that Christopher Hitchens ripped into the Church shook me to the core and made me question what I believed. It still took a while after that to begin to reanalyze much of what I believe, but that video definitely pushed me over the edge.
18-04-2013, 08:44 AM
You've come to the right place to see if you're man (or woman) enough to be a real atheist. Welcome, and please avoid FreeThought's clam dip. It's been out in the sun a little too long. Confused

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
18-04-2013, 11:02 AM
(18-04-2013 08:44 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You've come to the right place to see if you're man (or woman) enough to be a real atheist. Welcome, and please avoid FreeThought's clam dip. It's been out in the sun a little too long. Confused

Oi! There are minors on here, including FT himself.

It'll be years before he even understands the euphemism of clam-dipping.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Welcome!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
18-04-2013, 05:52 PM
(18-04-2013 11:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 08:44 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You've come to the right place to see if you're man (or woman) enough to be a real atheist. Welcome, and please avoid FreeThought's clam dip. It's been out in the sun a little too long. Confused

Oi! There are minors on here, including FT himself.

It'll be years before he even understands the euphemism of clam-dipping.

Time to add another term on the "avoid learning" list it seems...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.