New to the forums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2013, 08:06 PM
New to the forums
Hi everyone.
I am a 19 year old male from Pennsylvania. I am a Physics major and have been shedding my indoctrination for a many years now. Within the last year, I have fully abandoned the Roman Catholic faith I was raised in. I have not mentioned this to my parents because I know they would have a cow. My deconversion began when I saw a painting by Norman Rockwell that showed a boy finding his father's Santa suit in a drawer. This was when I discovered Santa wasn't real. When my mother admitted this truth to me my next question was, "So, God is not real either?" to which she replied saying that I should watch my thoughts and not to be ridiculous. This is when I truly began to question things. Then I entered the agnostic stage, until recently when I decided to stop fooling my self and call myself an atheist. I look forward to the community of like-minded individuals that the forum seems to be.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2013, 08:12 PM
RE: New to the forums
Welcome. I'm also deconverted Catholic and there are quite few on this board.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Great, another really smart guy to make me feel intellectually inferior.

I kid! Welcome man, good to have you aboard.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Welcome. Atheism will be a good start for you.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 2 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
31-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I feel awful for feeling agnostic....damn science books!

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
03-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Another former Catholic.

Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post