New to this sandbox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
New to this sandbox
Greetings from Midwestern U.S.A. Originally from the Deep South (U.S. Bible Belt). Raised Christian (Methodist) until I fell out with religion in my early-to-mid teens, and been an agnostic ever since.

Just on here crashing another atheist sandbox since every so many years I like to do so. Yes

Looking forward to reading and engaging in some interesting conversations with you folks.

Byenia

"The truth is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine." -- J.B.S. Haldane
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 08:36 PM
RE: New to this sandbox
Welcome aboard! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Not a sandbox... It's more like a show and tell, with a electric fence around it, and bullies try to break in by punching the electric fence.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
06-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Took me longer than you to shake religion, but I too was born down south (Arkansas), and moved to the midwest (KC) Thumbsup
I Heart TTA
Jump on in the deep end, I got floaties if ya need 'em Shy

06-02-2014, 08:50 PM
WELCOME!!! Big Grin
06-02-2014, 08:50 PM
(06-02-2014 08:03 PM)Byenia Wrote:  Greetings from Midwestern U.S.A. Originally from the Deep South (U.S. Bible Belt). Raised Christian (Methodist) until I fell out with religion in my early-to-mid teens, and been an agnostic ever since.

Just on here crashing another atheist sandbox since every so many years I like to do so. Yes

Looking forward to reading and engaging in some interesting conversations with you folks.

Byenia

Define "an agnostic"?

Welcome to the forums.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
06-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Most agnostics are atheist, either willingly or unwittingly. As when you believe,you " Believe"

Imho an agnostic would be someone who was never indoctrinated suscessfully and decided to shop around for deities.
Like as in "car manufacturer brand agnostic".

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
07-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the welcoming.

As for my use of the term "agnostic," no I don't use it as a means to "shop around for deities," not since exploring other belief system in my teenage years. Deities do nothing for me, seeing as how religions and deities are human constructs. However, I prefer to maintain a relatively open mind to all sorts of possibilities and can see where religions served to point toward that "great unknown." They're explanation systems for what cannot be fully comprehended or explained, so I can see value to varying extents in religious narratives. Just not when they're taken uber-literally as has become the common fad for religionists and atheists alike. But I doubt much of that makes sense to most folks, and that's fine -- one's life exploration cannot help but be subjective in nature. My goal is not to "win" people over to embracing my own understanding/ongoing search. Much of my own beliefs/ideas in that arena will likely remain private, seeing as how I'm unable to articulate them in a meaningful way. And that's just how it goes for all of us, hence why there's so much fighting and bickering between people who can't (and/or don't wish to) sufficiently relate with where one another are coming from. There are no simple black-and-white answers or clear-cut narratives that can express the totality of the situation we live within.

As for not being "indoctrinated successfully" into Christianity -- not all forms of Christian perceptions are created equal and not all of us were brought up on teachings of fire and brimstone ad nauseam. And what a child is willing to accept is a big leap from how an adult makes sense of life's complexities. And that's all I know to say about that.

I don't consider myself an atheist, after having tried on that label maybe a decade or so back for a spell. It's too definitive for my taste and doesn't allow enough room for exploration on the levels that intrigue me personally. And that's fine. To each his or her own.

"The truth is not only stranger than you imagine, it is stranger than you can imagine." -- J.B.S. Haldane
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Byenia's post
07-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Welcome! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
07-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.