New to this site...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 09:19 AM
New to this site...
Hello all.

Thanks for letting me join. I am so wanting to discuss and debate on an intelligent and civil forum and I am hoping that this is a good fit for me.

I have been debating for a long, long time and started with American Atheists' email version of debate on AACHAT. I spent many years with the original AtheistParents.org and Belief.net and have been a long-time regular on a Christian site that is changing as it grows elderly.

I am tired of vulgar language and insults and an insistence that atheists must toe the Leftist party line and agree to all the particulars of Progressivism. I am tired of being called ignorant, uninformed and uneducated just because I align with Constitutional principles. I consider myself to be a Conservative Libertarian.

I have been told before to avoid labeling myself or I will get called on it should I venture outside whatever box others have placed me in. But...I am complicated, just like everyone else. Life makes us so and to deny that fact is to deny that human beings have a decently reasoning brain, which responds uniquely to the individuals experience and sensibilities.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Jeanne's post
18-04-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: New to this site...
Welcome to TTA.

We can't guarantee "intelligent" or "civil" but there's plenty of "vulgar language" and more than enough "insults" to go around... you'll work out soon enough who to avoid.

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
18-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Welcome to the board!

Be prepared for a good debate, if that's what you are after. Many of our posters here have 100% pure evidence coming out of their wazoo.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Welcome!
18-04-2017, 09:59 AM
[Image: nRSGVTr.gif?zoom=2] Jeanne

There will be scads of "vulgar" language here. Most people on some (at least) atheist sites don't consider swearing to be anything except emphasis so if someone says "fuck you" it is not meant literally. Even religious members use these terms though less often and are not frightened off or scandalized by them.

Robert

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
18-04-2017, 10:31 AM
(18-04-2017 09:19 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  I consider myself to be a Conservative Libertarian.

Welcome and good luck.

Smile
18-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Hi, and welcome. Smile
18-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Hello and welcome.

A friend in the hole
"I'll be back when I want it...not when I need it." - Hawkeye
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
18-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Also, you do not have to be leftist or liberal to be an atheist. Hell, you don't even have to have science-based reasons for not having faith. Everyone is different.

But I'm curious why you consider yourself a conservative? I mean- what things do you believe in/support that are conservative in nature? There's another thread that just started not too long ago that you might want to participate in that is about this specific subject. Maybe you could post your answer there if you're willing?

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nservative

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
18-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Welcome.

You're probably going to have to get used to the swearing; that's not considered uncivil here.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post