RE: New to this site...
Welcome from Middle Earth! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
19-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Hello Smile
As far as I'm concerned, "the conservatives" and "the liberals", "the left", "the right" whatever are just as imaginary as Zeus.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
20-04-2017, 04:22 PM
(18-04-2017 09:19 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Hello all.

Thanks for letting me join. I am so wanting to discuss and debate on an intelligent and civil forum and I am hoping that this is a good fit for me.

I have been debating for a long, long time and started with American Atheists' email version of debate on AACHAT. I spent many years with the original AtheistParents.org and Belief.net and have been a long-time regular on a Christian site that is changing as it grows elderly.

I am tired of vulgar language and insults and an insistence that atheists must toe the Leftist party line and agree to all the particulars of Progressivism. I am tired of being called ignorant, uninformed and uneducated just because I align with Constitutional principles. I consider myself to be a Conservative Libertarian.

I have been told before to avoid labeling myself or I will get called on it should I venture outside whatever box others have placed me in. But...I am complicated, just like everyone else. Life makes us so and to deny that fact is to deny that human beings have a decently reasoning brain, which responds uniquely to the individuals experience and sensibilities.

-Jeanne

Hi Jeanne.

I recently migrated over here from the Amazon atheist forum, where we had a handful of distinctly conservative members that I've had some interesting discussions with. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them migrated over here with the rest of us.

Don't consider myself either conservative or liberal, although I suppose that may be for others than myself to decide. AFAIK, "Progressivism" died out in the 1920s. Wink Always up for an interesting discussion, though.

Welcome to TTA. Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
20-04-2017, 06:33 PM
(20-04-2017 04:22 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Hi Jeanne.

I recently migrated over here from the Amazon atheist forum, where we had a handful of distinctly conservative members that I've had some interesting discussions with. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them migrated over here with the rest of us.

Don't consider myself either conservative or liberal, although I suppose that may be for others than myself to decide. AFAIK, "Progressivism" died out in the 1920s. Wink Always up for an interesting discussion, though.

Welcome to TTA. Smile

Hi Dr. H. I find the one-dimension of conservative/liberal to not be useful.

I was discussing politics with a friend, and I mentioned that I distrust political promises, and instead focus on the values that a candidate holds. I feel that promises should often be broken, because they are ill-conceived, once the real facts come to light. I feel that if I know a person's values, I will be less shocked by what they do in office.

He replied "the problem is it is hard to know someone's values. Most people mistake ideologies for values".

I realized that he was right. The political spectrum is about ideologies, which share much with religious dogma. A rational person chooses their ideologies in the hope that they will achieve an outcome that aligns with their values. Many, sadly, mistake the ideologies as an end in themselves, as if they actually have independent value.

Conservative and Liberal are two opposing thought processes that occur in every person. Do we make choices based on our culture and upbringing, or do we try something new based on our individual desires or beliefs? Do we trust economics that have achieved our current reality, or do we gamble on new economic ideas? Should we have zero-tolerance for crime, or should be allow individual compassion to enter into the courts?

The reality is that every person is a contradiction of both though processes, and that is a good thing. From an evolutionary standpoint, both have value, depending on the situation. Sometimes trying something new is reckless. Sometimes listening to your emotions is wrong. Sometimes doing the same thing and hoping for better results is insanity.

I am conservative on economic issues, and liberal on social issues -- except when I'm not. That means there no easy policy answers for me. Everything is a compromise, and everything comes back to "what are my values?"
[+] 1 user Likes Happy Skeptic's post
21-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Hiya Jeanne. This forum is indeed a little more tolerant politically than AF is. I've never had much problem at either place despite my centrist views ... though there are times I catch flak from both sides.

That's how I know I'm hitting a soft spot. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Hello! Big Grin
03-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Thanks to those who have welcomed me recently.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."