New user

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 12:01 PM
RE: New user
Welcome! Smile

I recommend, if you have not yet read it, Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan's excellent book, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

It is an easy read, and contains a lot of advice on how to process information and to recognize pseudoscientific claims and other such nonsense. It helped me a lot when I was transitioning to a freethinker, in the mid-90s.

I am married to a Christian, and we have no problems... but part of that is because she is also a scientist.

Hope things work out, and that you find a community home, here.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Hello!

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2016, 12:39 PM
(23-05-2016 12:01 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Welcome! Smile

I recommend, if you have not yet read it, Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan's excellent book, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark.

It is an easy read, and contains a lot of advice on how to process information and to recognize pseudoscientific claims and other such nonsense. It helped me a lot when I was transitioning to a freethinker, in the mid-90s.

Also by Sagan, compiled and edited by Ann Druyan, "The Varieties of Scientific Experience, Notes on the Personal Search for God" (I think I got that right). It's a science-based illustration of why the Western view of God is unlikely to be true. Essentially, God, as popularly conceived, is insufficient to explain the world around us. Might be of some help with your wife.

Oh crap!
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
25-05-2016, 05:55 PM
(23-05-2016 09:27 AM)unclematthegreat Wrote:  Hello all

I am 34 years old and a fairly recent deconvert. I am married to a Christian woman, and we are currently working through this. I am teaching my self critical thinking and about psychology to be able to think better in general. I am a teacher by trade, but currently work in a control room.

I am working on building a support network, and I look forward to getting to know you guys better. The biggest problem I have is just having an intentional habit of keeping in touch with people. I hope to work on that. I love learning new things, and with sufficient evidence have my mind changed.

Look forward to getting to know you !

Welcome, and tread slowly with the wife Smile

If you have any remaining doubts, nagging questions, or just want some clarity on anything related to xtianity, let me know.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
25-05-2016, 06:03 PM
Great we need a...

No seriously, hope you like it here. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]