New young member here.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 06:39 PM
New young member here.
Greetings everyone. Im new here. Found the videos online and loved them. I am actually a very young atheist here . I am a teenager who actually is a closet atheist. I understand some of your guy's opinions on "closet atheist" but its just my situation. Although my parents are liberal Christians and have told me my right to believe what I want and explore what I believe. They know I read books such by Dawkins and such and encourage it. But its just what I want right now.

I would like to share some more of my story. Sorry I just have wanted to get this out. I have 2 main things I have to go through along with many other Atheist. 1. I live in the Bible-Belt just like The Thinking Atheist 2. Now this is the biggest problem. I am homeschooled through a program that is EXTREMELY fundamentalist , young-earth creationist Christians. I will not mention the name but some of you may already know of the program I am talking about. My parents dont agree with anything they teach (i.e. Anti-Evolution, young-earth) , but its mainly for the ease of it. Teaching through DVD's. They teach against obviously Evolution, and you know all the things. So I have to teach myself all these things via many sources, and of course my parents know of this and they are fine with it.

I am starting to think my parents are realizing that I dont believe. They dont make me go to Sunday School anymore, which they never made me but encouraged I go. They dont even drag to me to church or even make me say the prayer at dinner much anymore. So its kind of an ease .

I know its long but I just wanted to share my story. Looking forward to talking and meeting many of you on this forum. Thank!

"Take your Vulcan cynicism and bury it with your repressed emotions" - Captain Archer (Enterprise Captain)

"Religion and science have a common ancestor - ignorance" - A.C. Grayling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 06:43 PM
RE: New young member here.
Welcome to TTA mate Smile.

Just out of interest why aren't you open about your atheism with your parents, I'm assuming you have some reason for hiding it?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-04-2012, 06:45 PM
(23-04-2012 06:43 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Welcome to TTA mate Smile.

Just out of interest why aren't you open about your atheism with your parents, I'm assuming you have some reason for hiding it?
Thank you.Im not sure. Something inside, mainly a confidence issue.
23-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someday you will feel confident enough in yourself and your disbelief to come clean with your folks.
They sound like reasonable people, which is a nice change.

In the meantime enjoy your time here.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the forum!

[Image: vjp09.gif]