Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Hi All
Just wanted to say hi.
Never posted on such a site before but feel now is the time to be truer to myself.
Everyone that knows me is aware that I don't believe in a god but I feel I can't express myself much as my family are catholic and I work in a place that promotes C of E.
(It became CE after I had already started work there.) I live by the same ideas - kindness, respect, love - I just don't see why I would need a god to be a good person))

I don't have any big arguments for atheism and I don't know all the sharp, intelligent comebacks - I just know I don't believe there could be a god as I can't make sense of it.

I hope to be involved in some intelligent discussion here.

Thanks
NotAfraid (anymore)
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2010, 04:04 PM
RE: Newbie
Welcome, NotAfraid! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2010, 06:35 AM

Thanks, Unbeliever.
31-05-2010, 12:20 PM

NotAfraid, first off, welcome.

Your name reminds me of a quote by Marcus Aurelius:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid." - Marcus Aurelius
31-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Supermanlives1973, I like that. I really do like that.

Thanks for the welcome and for the quote.
01-06-2010, 01:51 AM

I too am new to this site. So awesome to find so many that feel the same way I do. I need ideas on how to deal with a Christian boss that just assumes everyone agrees with her. Also, what to do when you go to a get together and everyone suggests a prayer before eating. I am really sick of everyone trying to make others pray. I don't want to be rude or make a scene, but I am entitled to not believe.
01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Welcome, smartgal!

(01-06-2010 01:51 AM)smartgal Wrote:  I need ideas on how to deal with a Christian boss that just assumes everyone agrees with her.

Depends on what exactly she's doing.

Quote:Also, what to do when you go to a get together and everyone suggests a prayer before eating. I am really sick of everyone trying to make others pray. I don't want to be rude or make a scene, but I am entitled to not believe.

Just sit there with your hands folded and wait for it to be over. That's what I do.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2010, 01:40 AM

Yeah that is what I have been doing when the prayer thing happens, seems to work. As far as my boss, she is always bringing up things she read in the bible to me, sends me religious e-mails which I delete, and has a prayer group with some our employees. She no longer brings up her views on abortion or gay rights since I pointed out to her how much we differed on our views and should not discuss it. It is touchy since she is the owner and I am the General Manager. I do not feel that religion belongs in the workplace, but she favors employees that are Christians. I just excuse myself when she talks her God stuff, but it still bothers me. I know her opinion of me would change if she knew I was an atheist, which is ridiculous.