Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2016, 04:07 PM
Brick Newbie
Hi, I am Sheila, I live in NJ and I am married. I have a grown daughter who is married, and a grown son. My dog is a rescue mixed breed, named Daisy. I became an atheist on Jan 1 of this year, at the ripe old age of 60. I turned 61 in April. I am the only atheist in my family. I was raised in a fundamentalist church, taken by my parents beginning as a babe in arms. I was taught that the Bible is the literal Word of God with no errors. My long journey out of theism and into atheism will take too long here. I am relieved and happy to live a life where questions are no longer discouraged.

"Always questioning..." Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like sheila faustina's post
03-09-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: Newbie
Welcome to TTA. Smile
03-09-2016, 05:07 PM
Hello! Big Grin
04-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
04-09-2016, 12:15 AM
(03-09-2016 04:07 PM)sheila.faustina@gmail.com Wrote:   Hi, I am Sheila, I live in NJ and I am married. I have a grown daughter who is married, and a grown son. My dog is a rescue mixed breed, named Daisy. I became an atheist on Jan 1 of this year, at the ripe old age of 60. I turned 61 in April. I am the only atheist in my family. I was raised in a fundamentalist church, taken by my parents beginning as a babe in arms. I was taught that the Bible is the literal Word of God with no errors. My long journey out of theism and into atheism will take too long here. I am relieved and happy to live a life where questions are no longer discouraged.

Your story is pretty common here. I come from the same background, as do many of us. Luckily, I love science and so I read a lot of science and sci-fi books as a kid (because my fundy family wouldn't allow cable in the house, and the VHS tapes my mom got from the church library mainly sucked), and so at age 17 I was able to spot the fact that my fundamentalist/literalist church was, to put it nicely, misrepresenting the facts. At that point, I started looking more skeptically at the theological claims, and it didn't take long for me to realize the whole thing didn't wash. I didn't realize I was an outright atheist until the age of 22, however.

Anyway, for you to be capable of overcoming a lifetime of brainwashing at the age of 60 is quite impressive. So, uh, color me impressed.

Welcome to TTA. You'll fit right in. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
04-09-2016, 02:35 AM
Welcome, Sheila Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
04-09-2016, 04:55 AM
(04-09-2016 12:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 04:07 PM)sheila.faustina Wrote:   Hi, I am Sheila, I live in NJ and I am married. I have a grown daughter who is married, and a grown son. My dog is a rescue mixed breed, named Daisy. I became an atheist on Jan 1 of this year, at the ripe old age of 60. I turned 61 in April. I am the only atheist in my family. I was raised in a fundamentalist church, taken by my parents beginning as a babe in arms. I was taught that the Bible is the literal Word of God with no errors. My long journey out of theism and into atheism will take too long here. I am relieved and happy to live a life where questions are no longer discouraged.

Your story is pretty common here. I come from the same background, as do many of us. Luckily, I love science and so I read a lot of science and sci-fi books as a kid (because my fundy family wouldn't allow cable in the house, and the VHS tapes my mom got from the church library mainly sucked), and so at age 17 I was able to spot the fact that my fundamentalist/literalist church was, to put it nicely, misrepresenting the facts. At that point, I started looking more skeptically at the theological claims, and it didn't take long for me to realize the whole thing didn't wash. I didn't realize I was an outright atheist until the age of 22, however.

Anyway, for you to be capable of overcoming a lifetime of brainwashing at the age of 60 is quite impressive. So, uh, color me impressed.

Welcome to TTA. You'll fit right in. Smile

Why oh why did you quote her email?????????

I went so far as to report that post through worry for her.

Just shoot me!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
04-09-2016, 05:57 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
04-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Welcome!
04-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.