Newbie Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Newbie Atheist
Hello All!

My name is Kristen. I'm 24 years old and currently live in Orlando, FL. I grew up in a Christian household with an incredibly religious grandfather. I never took my faith seriously and I always found church kind of cheesy. If anyone asked me about my beliefs, I would just tell them I believed in God and pretty much leave it at that. I've always believed in showing compassion towards others regardless of their background and if there was a God, he wouldn't punish me for doing so. I suppose deep down, I've always been more of a skeptic if anything.

Things didn't really start to change for me until one of my best friends went to a sudden religious extreme to the point where she followed the Torah, condemned holidays like Christmas and Easter because they don't "honor the glory of God." She also believed in conspiracies such as Illuminati, FEMA camps, micro chips, etc. I was really close to her and all of these sudden changes she was going through prompted me to do my own research because everything she was saying I just couldn't get on board with. It really hit me when I watched the Nye vs Ham debate then I read Bill Nye's book and everything was just clicking and making sense to me. I in a way went through a big culture shock and wanted to read anything and everything that had to do with atheism/agnosticism/humanism. The more I read, the more everything makes more and more sense to me.

I honestly never felt more at peace with everything I've been reading and I only wish to know more and seek out more people who share these views.

Anyway, so that's my little story of how I got to be here. I really look forward to getting to know others on this forum!

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like kristenkjordan's post
29-03-2015, 05:16 PM
RE: Newbie Atheist
Welcome. Maybe you can get through to your friend.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Welcome
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
29-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Welcome aboard.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
29-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Welcome.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
29-03-2015, 05:30 PM
(29-03-2015 05:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Welcome. Maybe you can get through to your friend.

Thanks! I really thought about it. Another friend of hers even thought about having a sort of intervention but after thinking about it, I really wasn't sure how to go about it or if I should. I wouldn't want religion being shoved down my throat so what makes it right for me to try to educate her? Granted, if she chose to bring up and discuss the topic, I would defend my beliefs but I doubt anything I say would change her mind considering her answer to everything would be, "Well that's the devil's work. You're not in control of your own thoughts..." Frusty

29-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome! Newbie atheist here as well. Still in the closet in regards to my family. I have a couple of friends I can talk about it with, but living in the South, it's not an easy topic to broach with most people.
29-03-2015, 06:43 PM
(29-03-2015 06:33 PM)BeardFist McFistBeard Wrote:  Welcome! Newbie atheist here as well. Still in the closet in regards to my family. I have a couple of friends I can talk about it with, but living in the South, it's not an easy topic to broach with most people.

Yikes. I don't imagine people being very understanding or accepting in the south. Hopefully that'll start to change in the future!

I've only really "come out" to my mom and my aunt since I'm closest with them. My mom's been very understanding and while she holds onto her indoctrinated beliefs, she was very happy that I was learning for myself what works for me. My aunt, on the other hand, she'll always love me but she's a pretty big conservative and has said that we'll never agree on this topic. I'm okay with all of that though.

I've been more cautious talking to coworkers and acquaintances about my beliefs but anytime the topic comes up, turns out they pretty much feel the same way. Seems like there's a helluva lot more of us out there than we believe! Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
29-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Newbie Atheist
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
29-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the forums! I've never encountered someone like your friend IRL (luckily) so I don't have any advice for you (sadly). Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 1 user Likes Russ's post