Newbie Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 07:42 PM
RE: Newbie Atheist
(29-03-2015 06:43 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 06:33 PM)BeardFist McFistBeard Wrote:  Welcome! Newbie atheist here as well. Still in the closet in regards to my family. I have a couple of friends I can talk about it with, but living in the South, it's not an easy topic to broach with most people.

Yikes. I don't imagine people being very understanding or accepting in the south. Hopefully that'll start to change in the future!

I've only really "come out" to my mom and my aunt since I'm closest with them. My mom's been very understanding and while she holds onto her indoctrinated beliefs, she was very happy that I was learning for myself what works for me. My aunt, on the other hand, she'll always love me but she's a pretty big conservative and has said that we'll never agree on this topic. I'm okay with all of that though.

I've been more cautious talking to coworkers and acquaintances about my beliefs but anytime the topic comes up, turns out they pretty much feel the same way. Seems like there's a helluva lot more of us out there than we believe! Thumbsup

They basically look at you like you have two heads. It's beyond their ability to imagine that someone would willingly choose to be an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Guten Abend.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
29-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
29-03-2015, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 11:50 PM by Alex K.)
Since I joined, what, 30 1/2 seconds before you, I don't dare say Welcome, so, Hello there! Smile

I know people like your friend, but they're not very close acquaintances... I guess it's something she needs for her ego, as somethong that provides identity and sets her apart from others. It fits with the conspiracy theorizing, which to me is in most cases an attempt at finding something empowering in the face of ones own insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Being one of the few who see through the conspiracy and being one of the few who do God right both serves that purpose of feeding the ego because it 1. Makes you special and 2. renders the world understandable and controllable, at least by those supposedly in charge of the conspiracy. It's a very human thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
30-03-2015, 02:14 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-03-2015, 06:50 AM
(29-03-2015 11:40 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Since I joined, what, 30 1/2 seconds before you, I don't dare say Welcome, so, Hello there! Smile

I know people like your friend, but they're not very close acquaintances... I guess it's something she needs for her ego, as somethong that provides identity and sets her apart from others. It fits with the conspiracy theorizing, which to me is in most cases an attempt at finding something empowering in the face of ones own insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Being one of the few who see through the conspiracy and being one of the few who do God right both serves that purpose of feeding the ego because it 1. Makes you special and 2. renders the world understandable and controllable, at least by those supposedly in charge of the conspiracy. It's a very human thing.

I totally get that need to believe thing. She was never religious in the past and from what I gathered from her posts, she's not practicing Christianity or Judaism (her boyfriend/husband comes from a Jewish background I think) but I believe it's Messianic? They follow the Torah. I'm not as familiar as some other atheists are and I'm really just now trying to scratch the surface. I suppose the only way my arguments against her will be strong enough, should they ever come up again, is to continue to read and educate myself. I definitely know they refuse to eat pork or shellfish because it's "unclean" and an "abomination." Rolleyes

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
30-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Do they wear fabric made of two different kinds of thread? Just asking...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
30-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
30-03-2015, 05:24 PM
(30-03-2015 12:16 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Do they wear fabric made of two different kinds of thread? Just asking...

I want to say yes because otherwise they'd just be wearing robes, right? lol. And isn't there something about cutting your hair or beard? Consider

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
30-03-2015, 05:29 PM
(30-03-2015 05:24 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  
(30-03-2015 12:16 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Do they wear fabric made of two different kinds of thread? Just asking...

I want to say yes because otherwise they'd just be wearing robes, right? lol. And isn't there something about cutting your hair or beard? Consider

Yup. They're Doooooooomed!

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.