Newbie seeks answers...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
31-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Newbie seeks answers...
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to Atheism. I'm having a hard time with a few things. Since I was a small child I was taught to use reason and logic in everyday life but also was paraded to church and taught to follow the teachings of the bible. I reject those teachings accept for the ones about do unto others and so on which are basic humanist beliefs.

So the question that I am struggling with is:

If energy cannot be created or destroyed but only transferred and our brain's synapses are simply electricity (a form of energy) moving about, where does that energy go when we die? It cannot be destroyed so it would have to be transferred somewhere. I'm not implying that the energy is transferred to some mythical place in the sky where we reunite with our dead relatives but I am curious as to what Atheists believe happens. I myself am a borderline Atheist in that I reject all religions as myths but I am struggling with this one question. I don't know if I can call myself an Atheist yet because science tells me that this energy would have to be transferred.

Referencing the above question, if this energy is transferred say, out into the world then would I be correct to say that I am an Atheist because I reject all religions as simply myths?

Any help is appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: Newbie seeks answers...
Where do you suppose the rest of your body heat, or any other form of energy in your body will go when you die?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
31-03-2013, 07:02 PM
(31-03-2013 06:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Where do you suppose the rest of your body heat, or any other form of energy in your body will go when you die?

Exactly.
Think about a highly developed and intelligent animal like a dolphin, elephant or chimp. We have no problem accepting that their physical being is simply broken down into it`s constituent parts absorbed back into the environment. So why do we have a problem accepting this when it comes to humans. The only thing in the way is the existence of a soul. Once you get past that idea, the rest is easy. It`s really no different than what happens to an earthworm.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 3 users Like Heathen's post
31-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's just as Heathen describes it. That is how your body gains energy from food. Plants derive energy from the soil and the sun. Animals eat the plants to gain energy. Humans eat animals for energy. Humans and animals die and are converted to soil. Thus, is the circle if life. Queue song.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
31-03-2013, 08:39 PM
(31-03-2013 07:02 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 06:34 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Where do you suppose the rest of your body heat, or any other form of energy in your body will go when you die?

Exactly.
Think about a highly developed and intelligent animal like a dolphin, elephant or chimp. We have no problem accepting that their physical being is simply broken down into it`s constituent parts absorbed back into the environment. So why do we have a problem accepting this when it comes to humans. The only thing in the way is the existence of a soul. Once you get past that idea, the rest is easy. It`s really no different than what happens to an earthworm.

Wait just a damn minute now. You tryin to tell me my heads full of earthworms and shit?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
31-03-2013, 08:44 PM
(31-03-2013 08:39 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(31-03-2013 07:02 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Exactly.

Wait just a damn minute now. You tryin to tell me my heads full of earthworms and shit?

Maybe not at the moment (maybeBig Grin), but at some point in the future, there's a good possibility.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Great answers!

I never thought to look at other highly developed mammals such as dolphins and ask the same question.

Thank you all again for your input and I'm glad I found this forum.
[+] 1 user Likes arc59532's post
31-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Think of a battery. It has electricity. And it can die too.

Want something? Then do something.
31-03-2013, 11:23 PM
(31-03-2013 11:09 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  Think of a battery. It has electricity. And it can die too.

The batteries energy was transferred to device it powers. Take a radio or remote control. The battery transfers energy to the remote and the remote transfers the energy in the form of a signal to the tv. The tv absorbs the signal and then completes the action requested by the signal sent to it. I don't know enough about tvs to determine where the energy goes after that but you see the point.
31-03-2013, 11:27 PM
(31-03-2013 11:23 PM)arc59532 Wrote:  ...
I don't know enough about tvs to determine where the energy goes after that but you see the point.

It goes into the TV's soul.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post