Newcomer from Finland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 03:40 AM
RE: Newcomer from Finland
Welcome Gothic Nurse! Oooh Finland, I love Finnish. I can ask you Finnish stuff now Evil_monster Drooling

Enjoy your stay!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
02-12-2015, 04:19 AM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-12-2015, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the nut house! But a very intelligent nut house it is. Finland....ah on my ice bucket list.

Smile

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 2 users Like OhDannyBoy's post
02-12-2015, 05:55 AM
(02-12-2015 05:45 AM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  Welcome to the nut house! But a very intelligent nut house it is. Finland....ah on my ice bucket list.

Smile

DJ

Little known fact regarding Finland. The Finnish air force flying Brewster Buffalo fighters had the highest kill to loss ratio of WWII in the air, 32 to 1.

No other air force could make it work adequately. Including the American army air force, RAF and RAAF.

[Image: 599EBB7F36B143439BBF515255E13D4F.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
02-12-2015, 06:08 AM
(01-12-2015 12:56 PM)Gothic Nurse Wrote:  Hello everyone!

I'm a 39 years old woman from Finland, a mother to a 16 years old skeptic atheist boy and a fiancée. We are an atheist family. I do tend to follow Buddhist philosophy of peace, harmony, respect and happiness even though I don't believe in any deities.

I work very closely for a woman who is extremely religious (Firstborn Laestadianism) and listening to Seth's podcasts is one of my few ways to survive in my every day facepalming.. That big family is bonkers I tell you that!).

I've listened to Seth for a couple of years now and I'm also a Richard Dawkins fangirl Wink My background is very much in the natural sciences and I'm working in nursing at the moment.

My parents have always been Christian and I remember doubting religion and god(s) from the early age. When I turned 18 and became an adult, I separated myself from the church straight away (in Finland we have to be adults in order to separate without parent's permission unless we are non-religious from the beginning like my son is).

I have lots to talk about, but here is a short, simple introduction from me to all of you.

Welcome aboard! let me know if you have any questions or need assistance..if I don't know the answer, many here do. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
02-12-2015, 06:18 AM
(02-12-2015 05:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 05:45 AM)OhDannyBoy Wrote:  Welcome to the nut house! But a very intelligent nut house it is. Finland....ah on my ice bucket list.

Smile

DJ

Little known fact regarding Finland. The Finnish air force flying Brewster Buffalo fighters had the highest kill to loss ratio of WWII in the air, 32 to 1.

No other air force could make it work adequately. Including the American army air force, RAF and RAAF.

Um. Why's it got a swastika on it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-12-2015, 06:38 AM
(02-12-2015 06:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 05:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Little known fact regarding Finland. The Finnish air force flying Brewster Buffalo fighters had the highest kill to loss ratio of WWII in the air, 32 to 1.

Um. Why's it got a swastika on it?

Finland was allied to the Germans.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-12-2015, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 07:34 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(02-12-2015 05:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  

Smile

DJ

Wow, that is awesome! Thank you. I minored in military history, specializing in the technology and tactics of warfare, and even I didn't know that about Finland and the Buffalo. I never knew anyone got any real use out of that hog. Brave pilots!

They were flying against the Russians, I presume? (They switched sides in 1944 and fought against the Nazis, then, but I doubt they were still using Buffaloes in 1944.)

Edit to Add: (Found it on WikiPedia)

The FiAF's main mission was to achieve air superiority over Finland and prevent Soviet air power from reinforcing their front lines. The fighter squadrons were very successful in the Finnish offensive of 1941. A stripped-down, more maneuverable, and significantly lightened version of the American Brewster B239 "Buffalo" was the FiAF's main fighter until 1943. Results with this fighter were very good, even though the type was considered to be a failure in the US Navy and with British Far East forces. In the Finnish use, the Brewster had a victory rate of 32:1 – 459 kills to 15 losses. German Bf 109s replaced the Brewster as the primary front-line fighter of the FiAF in 1943, though the Buffalos continued in secondary roles until the end of the wars. Other types, especially the Italian Fiat G.50 and Curtiss Hawk 75 also proved capable in the hands of well-trained Finnish pilots. Various Russian designs also saw action when lightly damaged "kills" were repaired and made airworthy.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-12-2015, 07:28 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2015 07:35 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
GothicNurse - Welcome! You sound like just our kind of people. I think you'll fit right in.

Not to make a pass at you, but I'm also 39, and a big fan of goth ladies. Smile

Edit to Add: That's my way of saying "picture in the show yourself thread, please!" Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-12-2015, 07:31 AM
(02-12-2015 07:28 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  GothicNurse - Welcome! You sound like just our kind of people. I think you'll fit right in.

Not to make a pass at you, but I'm also 39, and a big fan of goth ladies. Smile

[Image: Pickle2in.jpg]

Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post