Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 08:16 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist!
I had to laugh when I saw this Facebook post earlier today. It showed up on my news feed because a friend of mine commented on it, though it was posted by one of his friends. At least my friend that commented said "I don't see what's so bad about that."

Here is the video that this lady posted:

I find this lady's accusation quite amusing, because I don't see anything evil about this. In fact, I even support what he did. He helped people who were in great pain that knew their condition would only get worse, and allowed them to end their suffering in a way that would result in a painless death. He allowed them a way to die with dignity.

I wish I remembered where I read it, but somebody wrote an excellent comment about how doing what Kevorkian did was actually noble, because not only did it save the patient from ensuing increasingly worse suffering, it saved the family from watching that suffering getting worse. He made an excellent point that if the people that Kevorkian helped simply decided to commit suicide in another way, it could be horribly traumatizing for family members. If somebody decides to commit suicide by putting a gun to their head and pulling the trigger, imagine what happens when the family member that finds them dead sees their relative's brains splattered all over the floor. On top of that, guess who is going to have to clean that up when the body is taken away? Hint: it's not the paramedics. That's right, it's the family that has to clean up that mess. A quite horrific scenario, don't you think?

The media often spun things to make him out to be a bad guy, especially Fox News (there's a fucking surprise, eh?), but this interview actually shows that he was a compassionate person whose goal was to help people to end their suffering in a painless manner. As far as I can tell, it shows that there is nothing evil about him at all. I, for one, would be searching out somebody like him if I were ever in a situation of suffering horrible pain that would never get better.

He made great points about religion in this interview with Bill Maher:

Postscript: I found the comment! It was in the comments section of the first video I posted. The comment is written by a person with the username DocHollowDay. Here is the comment in full:

"The way the media portrayed this guy I thought he was a serial killer. But honestly after seeing the movie and seeing his interviews it makes a lot of sense. I'm going to paint two pictures tell me which one is better. On one hand you have a family member with a serious life threatening illness that will either destroy their life or end it, causing them pain and suffering day in and day out not knowing when they'll die and no knowing how long it will go on for. They can't go on and decide to end their life, suicide is taboo and so they don't want to tell everyone what they are thinking cause they'll try and stop them. Most suicides are a shock to the family cause they never are told about it till they're gone. The popular methods of suicide are gun, OD, hanging, slitting wrist and leaping off high places or in front of cars/metro trains. Most of those will cause a lot of pain before the person dies, and the other ones sometimes aren't done right and they end up causing more pain. I've heard of people who shot themselves in the head and somehow survived. So lets say gun, you're going to find out two ways. Either come across the body in your home or another family member they're living with will. Either way someone is going to be traumatized and someone will be shocked. Now here's something dark and sad, when someone shoots themselves or commits suicide (or murdered) the EMT's and Police don't clean up. They take the body and important things, but the blood and whatever else is up to you clean. Most people don't know about this till they have it happen to them. Now imagine the shock and pain of seeing your family member dead, dealing with the pain and grief, then having to clean the blood and maybe bits of skull and brain off the floor. Whoa to dark for you? Well it's happened to a LOT of people, it could happen to you.

Now imagine your family member who's diagnosed with something terminal or life threatening, they can't go on and its too painful. They call a doctor and arrange to end their suffering, the doctor notifies the family and now they know it's going to happen and its not going to be such a shock. They all come down the hospital and the family members can be there with their loved one to say good bye and now the is surrounded by their loved ones all there to support him. The patient is given the IV and they fall asleep peacefully, and then pass away.

Which one would you rather want?"

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-07-2014, 07:19 PM
RE: Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist!
Particularly interesting given the subject matter of tonight's show...

I personally am very conflicted about the whole issue for reasons that are personal - and as an argument from personal experience is not really useful in any other forum of discussion I shall not disclose at this point.

I am very much in support of his motives and I sometimes wonder if it's people like this, willing to risk the wrath of the law who, in the same way as people who used to provide back-alley abortions, force societies to start considering these matters with more nuance and empathy. One can but hope.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 2 users Like CiderThinker's post
22-07-2014, 07:48 PM
RE: Newest Accusation For Proof That Atheists Are Evil: Dr. Kevorkian Was Atheist!
I believe what Dr Kevorkian does for the terminally ill is out of kindness and compassion!!

Just as I feel women have the right to choose abortion, the terminally ill should have just as much right to end their suffering. I do not understand why this has to be done undercover.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like CindysRain's post
22-07-2014, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 08:00 PM by Smercury44.)
Dr. Kevorkian was a great man. I support what he did fully, and can only hope that in my final moments I have someone to show me that level of compassion and respect, and to do for me what he did for so many.

Edit: I also admire his bravery. I can't imagine putting my livelihood and life at risk like he did to do what he thought was right. Like Cider mentioned, he really forced the issue to be seen and actually thought about by many. If I ever decide to be an activist of any kind, it'd be for this cause.

It's still illegal in almost all US states to assist in the death of those suffering beyond our imagination. We do this kindness for our pets, but not for ourselves. So shameful No

Double edit: if anyone is interested in learning more about this topic, I highly suggest this documentary. If you're on the fence, I think this will help. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1715802/

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post