Newest (last?) Drizzt Do'Urden (Dark Elf) book just pisses me off

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Newest (last?) Drizzt Do'Urden (Dark Elf) book just pisses me off
So this is only for the small group of people that read R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf series, but I have to complain out loud.

Oh.

And there will be

*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS*****DETAILS THAT SPOIL*****

So Drizzt has survived about 20 or so books now across several decades since the first book (The Crystal Shard) was written in 1988. He's battled dragons and demons and wizards and forces that could destroy the world and survived. That's kind of his thing. His friends die off slowly but he is the embodiment of goodness. He's an ideal that can't be killed.

Then suddenly in what may be the final book in the series, Drizzt gets hit in the head with a flail (when he tries to hug a chick), falls down a cliff face, and dies? After ALL he's been through, a metal rod smacks him in the head and he "floats up to a magic realm to be with his wife?" Pardon me? The last 50 pages are an embarrassing tying up of loose ends, like Salvatore just wanted to end it all neatly and quickly. It's a smack in the face.

He arbitrarily makes the whole group fall asleep in a magic forest for 30 years or so, just to conveniently make all their powerful enemies stop chasing them and assume they're dead? Even if you're not familiar with the books, doesn't that ending just sound stupid and forced? They fall asleep, everyone forgets about them, wiping their past clean, and then the main hero takes a shot to the head, physically disappears, and floats up to magic town to hang out with his dead wife.

It just left so many plot lines hanging. This is like the series' Phantom Menace. I just feel so ripped off.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
RE: Newest (last?) Drizzt Do'Urden (Dark Elf) book just pisses me off
First things first.

1. Which chick was he trying to hug?
2. Who is his dead wife?

But most importantly of all, please tell me Catti-brie bought it, horribly and painfully?! Couldn't stand the *****.

It's been a while since me and Salvatore have had anything to do with each other, but I guess I'll always have a soft spot for him, as he was my first.

Translation job, I meant Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-06-2013, 10:03 AM
(11-06-2013 09:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  First things first.

2. Who is his dead wife?

But most importantly of all, please tell me Catti-brie bought it, horribly and painfully?! Couldn't stand the *****.

It's been a while since me and Salvatore have had anything to do with each other, but I guess I'll always have a soft spot for him, as he was my first.

More than one way to abuseuse a spoiler button! Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
11-06-2013, 12:34 PM
(11-06-2013 10:03 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  More than one way to abuseuse a spoiler button! Big Grin

And I've probably used every one of them. You know what they say about variety...

[Image: spices-and-fertility.jpg]

11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
(11-06-2013 09:53 AM)Vera Wrote:  First things first.

2. Who is his dead wife?

The newest saga is hundreds of years later. All of his original friends are dead, including Cattie-Brie (his wife). The chick he was with was his newest lover, who was a bitch with a haunted past kind of thing. He refused to fight her, went in to hug her, so she smacked him in the head.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
11-06-2013, 01:43 PM
(11-06-2013 01:03 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  He refused to fight her, went in to hug her, so she smacked him in the head.
[Image: rofl3.gif]

Oh my god, this is priceless! I'm sure it's rather disappointing when it's a character you love (hey, I didn't hate him either), but this is simply hilarious, esp. put like you put it!

In the words of Muffsy: "Bitches be crazy."

(Still, he could've come up with a better way for him to die... and to die so that he can be with Catti-brie again? That's my idea of hell.)

12-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Salvatore turned into a chump. His early works were decent, but it became just a job. And! His sci-fi sucks holy cornholio.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2013, 11:22 AM
This series took a horrible turn especially in this last sequence of books. I just finished the 4th installment of the Neverwinter series and literally lost my mind. Huge spoilers up a head for anyone reading this series.

First off killing what I supposedly gained through-out this series starting from the Crystal Shard on, was that you were looking at probably one of the best fighters in world of this fantasy world. He was able to fight balors, dracoliches, other drow, and some of the most powerful artifacts in this world. Now suddenly he's offed by his elf lover, because he rejects her? I mean the plot in these last 50 or 60 pages are a joke and the only thing I can think of is Salvatore ran this series into the ground on multiple levels. I mean with this series you magically skip years as if they are nothing. I mean Bruenor dies and then zoom 20 years later, or hey let's take a magical 10 year nap. He basically takes Drizzt to this level where maybe the Shadowfell would be a whole new arc since they are desperate to figure out which god Drizzt is the "chosen" for. You have Quick trying to figure out who he belongs to while at the same time you have Kimmural saying he's the instrument of Lolth. Only in the last 2 pages of dribble you find out who he belongs to and it's just sad. He's basically just saying in the last 2 chapters, "Hey I quit Drizzt". If you do this though, at least make him go out in proper order. As far as I know between friends Cadderly and Drizzt are the 2 most favorite characters popularity wise. Cadderly, at least, doens't go out in some chump way. Yeah he has to guard a dracolich for the rest of his existance by constantly creating runes, but he called to it by his god which was great. Drizzt basically goes out like a piece of trash. Everyone of his companions goes out in a way that made it seem important. Regis and Cattibrie go out trying to stop a dracolich, Cattibrie goes mad, but at least it was a decent way to go out, Bruenor same thing saves Gaunltgyrm.

I think Salvatore ran into a huge problem. If he keeps Drizzt alive, who is going to fight him? If Jarlaxle goes to him, then you just eliminated most of the drow as Jarlaxle would somehow deal his way into keeping all of them off Drizzt's tracks. You have Artemis who is no longer his enemy and is equally a skilled fighter. You basically have nothing to throw against him anymoe. Errtu would be too old even by demon standards, so his coming every 100 years would mean nothing. All you have left is to pull some spider wars bs and have him fight the gods. Good luck I guess? Anyways horrible ending to a good overall character.
11-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Never read any of these books, but since I am a long time D&D player, I am familiar with the characters. This "situation" sounds just ridiculous. A high level character like Drizzt ha so many protections that no single hit could possibly kill him and also, the fall is something quite easily avoided by a character like that.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson