News Flash, 80% of Americans are really stupid!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2016, 09:07 AM
RE: News Flash, 80% of Americans are really stupid!
In the realm of mechanical stupidity, I offer you the following.

I use to work for a company that manufactured a hazardous liquid used in paints to help cut down on the growth of mold. We shipped it in various container sizes, one of which, was a 5 gallon pail with a small screw on lid on top of the pail used for pouring.

One of our larger companies that we shipped to, Dow or Sherwin Williams sent us an email asking for precise instructions on how to open the pail.

Now mind you, we had been sending them large quantities of pails for years.

Suddenly, they couldn't figure out how to open it.
This is a large company with engineers and presumably someone who had opened a pail or perhaps a jar of pickles at some point in their past.

They were using hammers to pry off the screw on lid.
Even with the lid off and threads exposed, they still wanted detailed instructions on how to properly remove the lid.

I had to actually make a video of me unscrewing the lid with my hand showing the motion of my hand going counter clockwise.

After I sent it to them in an email, CCing the president of my company, buyers and the vice president of their company, I never heard another word about it.

Dumbasses !!

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
25-12-2016, 09:21 AM
(25-12-2016 09:07 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  In the realm of mechanical stupidity, I offer you the following.

I use to work for a company that manufactured a hazardous liquid used in paints to help cut down on the growth of mold. We shipped it in various container sizes, one of which, was a 5 gallon pail with a small screw on lid on top of the pail used for pouring.

One of our larger companies that we shipped to, Dow or Sherwin Williams sent us an email asking for precise instructions on how to open the pail.

Now mind you, we had been sending them large quantities of pails for years.

Suddenly, they couldn't figure out how to open it.
This is a large company with engineers and presumably someone who had opened a pail or perhaps a jar of pickles at some point in their past.

They were using hammers to pry off the screw on lid.
Even with the lid off and threads exposed, they still wanted detailed instructions on how to properly remove the lid.

I had to actually make a video of me unscrewing the lid with my hand showing the motion of my hand going counter clockwise.

After I sent it to them in an email, CCing the president of my company, buyers and the vice president of their company, I never heard another word about it.

Dumbasses !!

I used to work at a paint store, had the same thing happen. One painter refused to buy five gallon buckets of paint. When asked why one day he replied that they were too wasteful because you couldn't scrape the excess paint out through the small bunghole on the lid.

He was a bit embarrassed when it was pointed out to him that the instructions for removing the lid are right there on top, in picture form. :facepalm:
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
25-12-2016, 10:23 AM
The biggest problem with making something foolproof is underestimating the ingenuity of fools --- Douglas Adams.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
25-12-2016, 10:45 AM
OBJECTION!

I know some Yanks and they are not stupid!

Though.... they are actually over here.... and not over there... Blush

Tongue
25-12-2016, 08:21 PM
If their sample was OU fans I'm not surprised. /sarcasm
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
25-12-2016, 09:57 PM
On another note, I was watching a training video at work where the method shown was to grab a wiring harness by the wires and wiggle it along the long axis to pull it off the jack. That is exactly the WRONG way to do it. You NEVER pull on the wires. On a spacecraft, replacing a harness can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, in terms of lost schedule time and parts. I went to management and told them about that, but that training lasted about another year before it got updated. How the hell did that get through the development process, making the video? Crazy. Fortunately the people in the trenches knew it was wrong, but passed the CBT anyway. And then went right back to doing it right!