News Story: Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 08:24 PM
RE: News Story: Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.
"Think religion makes society less violent?"

Does anyone actually think that? So many times when there's violence on the news the "justification" for the violence has a religious basis. The violence and hatred should be enough to turn people off of religion, not to mention all the other crap that goes along with it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 06:15 AM
(05-11-2015 08:24 PM)smeli Wrote:  "Think religion makes society less violent?"

Does anyone actually think that? So many times when there's violence on the news the "justification" for the violence has a religious basis. The violence and hatred should be enough to turn people off of religion, not to mention all the other crap that goes along with it.
Actually, almost every religious person I've discussed the idea with argues that religion is necessary because it keeps us from being violent, hateful, doing criminal acts, etc... Many religious folk seem to think our morality is pulled out of a book, and without that book to guide us, society would crumble as rabid gangs of non-believers ran around murdering and pillaging.
06-11-2015, 07:03 AM
(31-10-2015 11:28 AM)skyking Wrote:  I wonder how all that jives with relative poverty? At a glance it looks like societies with decent incomes on average, are more likely to be secular. I think poverty is the chicken laying the theistic egg.
Same with the states in the example.

It seems that there really is link between religion and poverty which isn't surprising.

In Poland for example religiosity is higher amongst less educated and of lower social standing, while it is lowest amongst highly educated and of higher social status*.

In my opinion religion is opium for the people for when you have next to nothing there is at least god that you can hold on. But problem is that regular use of opium will not solve one problems.

*Data from: R. Boguszewski, Faith and religiosity of Poles 20 years after start of transformation (Wiara i religijność Polaków dwadzieścia lat po rozpoczęciu przemian ustrojowych), Warszawa 2009.

(31-10-2015 11:48 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Of course commentators are bringing up how atheistic nations are historically linked with genocide. HOWEVER, they are either hiding or ignorant of the fact that Communism was the cause of these deaths, not atheism. These governments took an atheistic stance simply because they wanted the people to worship the state. Take North Korea, for example. The Kim family are treated like god kings.

It would be strange if believers would place blame on another belief system. It's easier to say that it is lack of belief that was the cause of mass murder even if facts contradicts it. But since when believers care about facts?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-11-2015, 07:10 AM
I was gonna make a thread about this article, http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/20...-morality/ though it's pretty much on the same wavelength.

Studying childrens generosity and moral viewpoints based on comparison via non-religious, religious/Christ or Muslim and seeing more generosity out of the non-religious kids.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson