News article - Science proving evolution, again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2011, 10:30 AM
News article - Science proving evolution, again
Here's a little ammo for your field artillery of reason; Enjoy!

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/20...ellularity

Free at Last, Free at Last,
Great Me Almighty
I'm Free at Last!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2011, 11:01 AM
RE: News article - Science proving evolution, again
The article you linked to contained this link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...nline-news

Quote:Sceptics, however, point out that many yeast strains naturally form colonies, and that their ancestors were multicellular tens or hundreds of millions of years ago. As a result, they may have retained some evolved mechanisms for cell adhesion and programmed cell death, effectively stacking the deck in favour of Ratcliff's experiment.

"I bet that yeast, having once been multicellular, never lost it completely," says Neil Blackstone, an evolutionary biologist at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. "I don't think if you took something that had never been multicellular you would get it so quickly."

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2011, 12:19 PM
(25-06-2011 11:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  The article you linked to contained this link:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21...nline-news

Quote:Sceptics, however, point out that many yeast strains naturally form colonies, and that their ancestors were multicellular tens or hundreds of millions of years ago. As a result, they may have retained some evolved mechanisms for cell adhesion and programmed cell death, effectively stacking the deck in favour of Ratcliff's experiment.

"I bet that yeast, having once been multicellular, never lost it completely," says Neil Blackstone, an evolutionary biologist at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. "I don't think if you took something that had never been multicellular you would get it so quickly."

Creationists on a history forum that I frequent have used what you have quoted in their anti-science campaign. Instead of viewing past and present research on evolution as a whole, they think little things like this disprove it altogether. What's funny is the skeptics are also evolutionary biologists. Classic case of "pick and chose" syndrome. I could see them thinking to themselves: "Normally I would disagree with anything they have to say because it doesn't agree with my religious views, but I'll accept their opinion this time because it disproves evolution." Using science to disprove science is just silly.
18-01-2012, 10:10 AM
(25-06-2011 12:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Using science to disprove science is just silly.

Ummm... What do you use disprove wrong scientific theory if not science? Isn't that the whole point of science to disprove false theories.

Or are you claiming that science is is set of absolute facts that can't be disproved and that there are no errors in science?
18-01-2012, 11:39 AM
(18-01-2012 10:10 AM)slime2222 Wrote:  
(25-06-2011 12:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Using science to disprove science is just silly.

Ummm... What do you use disprove wrong scientific theory if not science? Isn't that the whole point of science to disprove false theories.

Or are you claiming that science is is set of absolute facts that can't be disproved and that there are no errors in science?

Read my full post again.
23-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Creationists would just say it took outside influences to create the new strains, so there is still an argument for a designer. They don't realize that environments shape the evolution of organisms and this can happen on it's own in nature.
27-01-2012, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't call this difinitive proof. I know that evo happened but this experiment begs more questions than it answers IMO.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
31-01-2012, 07:50 PM
A creationist would likely argue that this was not achieved via darwinian processes citing how the scientists got the yeast to evolve into multicellular organisms.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15