News crew shot during live broadcast.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: News crew shot during live broadcast.
(26-08-2015 11:57 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It's a good thing we have so many guns and no background checks here in America isn't it?

Except the mandatory federal background check when buying from a federally licensed seller. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2015, 02:08 PM
So horrific, what a shame.

I've never been shot at, nor do I want to be. Since my views of a person being shot depend entirely on Hollywood, I found it odd that the reporter could run away after three or four shots were fired at point blank range and 'm not sure how she didn't see him approaching her from her peripheral vision. I would assume that being 'live' would limit one to the action / reaction he/she would take.

We still have a lot of fucked up shit to work through as a society.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2015, 03:19 PM
(26-08-2015 12:23 PM)kim Wrote:  According to another news person, in FL in 2000, the guy was hired & fired at their news station for "bazaar and erratic behavior".

Untreated mental issues really do a number on people, huh? Undecided

That's just awful!

Our mental health care (cough), is just horribly inadequate -- the whole thing just stinks.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-08-2015, 03:22 PM
(26-08-2015 02:08 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  So horrific, what a shame.

I've never been shot at, nor do I want to be. Since my views of a person being shot depend entirely on Hollywood, I found it odd that the reporter could run away after three or four shots were fired at point blank range and 'm not sure how she didn't see him approaching her from her peripheral vision. I would assume that being 'live' would limit one to the action / reaction he/she would take.

As far as her noticing him, she was doing a live interview, so she wasn't just distracted; she was probably actively ignoring him. People are always coming up to news crews while they're filming, some just curious, some just to be jackasses. The reporters try to not pay any attention to it. She probably knew he was there, wouldn't have bothered to look at him.

And, yeah, handguns aren't the magic weapons that the movies make them out to be, where one shot will instantly crumple anybody to the floor. They do damage, to be sure, a lot of times it's delayed in terms of incapacitating them, unless it hits something major. An acquaintance of mine was shot in Chicago a few weeks ago. Nine times, up close, and then beaten afterwards. He's recovering just fine, no long-term damage expected except that he's probably going to get early arthritis in a hip. It all depends on where they hit you.

(26-08-2015 02:08 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  We still have a lot of fucked up shit to work through as a society.
Yeah we do.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 4 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
26-08-2015, 03:29 PM
(26-08-2015 03:22 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  And, yeah, handguns aren't the magic weapons that the movies make them out to be

I have watched both videos frame by frame. It might be her shirt, but you cannot see any contact from the bullets at all. That's just strange to me. Like, her clothes didn't even move.

Reality is so much different than movies.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-08-2015, 03:29 PM
Undecided

Sad.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
26-08-2015, 03:36 PM
(26-08-2015 03:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  Undecided

Sad.

Sad isn't the word.

Stuff like this really affects me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I think many just don't know how to handle a mental health issue in the workplace. Often the situation is complicated by not privately pulling the person aside and just asking if they will accept help. Unfortunately, getting people shifted to another position or just let go, can cause it's own stress.

Also, some may not see their behavior as anything but normal but, if advised of a palpatable problem, may be able to relate it to what is going on in their mind.

It is often difficult to ask for help and it is even more difficult to accept it. No one wants to be thought of as "needy" ... or worse, "crazy".

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-08-2015, 03:53 PM
(26-08-2015 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...
I have watched both videos frame by frame.

I find that a little disturbing.

Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
26-08-2015, 03:54 PM
(26-08-2015 03:48 PM)kim Wrote:  It is often difficult to ask for help and it is even more difficult to accept it. No one wants to be thought of as "needy" ... or worse, "crazy".

what I don't get is where these fucks then decide "I'll just tootle down and shoot people on TV, then shoot myself". He coulda *just* shot himself and it'd be very sad and boohoo waa, but now he's dead, couldn't give a shit, and has killed a whole bunch of other people for no reason.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post