News crew shot during live broadcast.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2015, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2015 08:56 AM by Chas.)
RE: News crew shot during live broadcast.
(27-08-2015 07:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 06:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've said this before - and few listen.

Every time one of these incidents occurs - there's a bunch of finger pointing going on.

But - nobody wants to address the WHY of the situation.

As in WHY did this maniac do this????

Simple.

Because now he's famous - which is exactly what he wanted. He went to great lengths to document his actions - and hoped you'd watch it. He got media exposure. Lots of it. Can anyone deny that I'm right about this?

I didn't watch- and I won't. (With my slowassed connection it'd probably take half the day anyway...)

So how did I know about it? The morons on the radio are giving the maniac his prize as well.

What to do?

Use the "Son of Sam" laws to prohibit the media from broadcasting the identities of jackoffs like this - don't allow ANY video, pictures, or audio to be viewed in public forums. The killer views the media exposure as compensation - so deny it to him.

There is a fine line between attempting to curtail sensationalist reporting and de facto censorship. Unsure

I'm good with de jure censorship in this matter.
Freedoms are not unlimited - the public good might be better served by making it illegal to publish the perpetrator's name or picture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2015, 08:24 AM
(27-08-2015 04:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 04:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um. I do think it's... not an ideal approach, KC. Not that I could really say, but if death stresses you out, isn't it better to avoid that stuff rather than to obsess over it? I mean, if I hear that some guy died violently, it's not nearly so stressful as seeing a photo or video of the death. For that reason I've avoided watching any of your linked stuff.

It's why ignorance can be bliss. It's also why I don't google those eye parasites that get into the water in Africa and cripple innocent malnourished children. There is a strong case to be made that we're evolved to be this way, that hardship on a large enough scale we can more easily ignore but we have such a strong penchant for focusing on small tragedies of individuals. Our empathy operates stronger on an individual scale, which seems like either a bug or a feature depending on how you look at it. It's one of the reasons why this incident is making the news, but the few dozen that died that very same day from traffic accidents don't even rate a blip on the radar.

I try not to focus on it, but much like the relationship status of more celebrity starlets than I care to mention, sometimes knowledge of these things is unavoidable outside of complete information blackout.

I think I'm the same as KC on this, as much as I dare presume to speak for someone else... it's not the death that bothers me. In fact, death bothers me very little, since I consider it as natural as breathing.

It's the suffering as a result of deliberate human cruelty. Incidental suffering, like the parasites and diseases, I do feel pity and sadness over, but not to the same degree. Those are just parts of life, a side effect of a world in which evolution is driven by random mutations and a whole lot of distinct species each trying to survive its own way. Only the things we humans do to cause suffering are miseries that did not have to be, and so the pain and confusion of watching someone who had to go through that--from victims of rapists and murderers to good "old fashioned" violent assault--is very difficult for me to absorb.

I simply cannot understand a person who would be so incapable of feeling/understanding the suffering of others to the degree it would take to inflict such suffering. Sadcryface

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2015, 08:38 AM
(27-08-2015 03:54 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Comon, KC, you know the score. This is gonna be part of the agenda, and DLJ is just being his ol' irreverent self. Here yo go...
---
Have an upside-down dog and a Hug

Yes, we all have our own ways of dealing with shock.

Some with obsessively running things over in the mind while others do it in short spurts, puncuated by off-the-cuff joking to add levity to an overall tragic situation. Cops do it, reporters do it, medical people do it... as do I. It's a way to move past ... to move beyond and return to the familiar, the less shocking.

People deal with things differently- it's how one deals with one's self and not a personal affront. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-08-2015, 10:07 AM
(26-08-2015 09:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 03:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I find that a little disturbing.

Dodgy

Stfu and keep your judgments and your patronizing to yourself.

Anyone who knows me knows I am genuinely affected by stuff like this. I thought you were someone who knew me and knew my personality enough to not insinuate whatever it is you're going for with that comment.

My comment "disturbs" you? Piss off then. That is how I cope when things like this are shoved into my reality. Real death. Actual death caught on film... I have to view it, almost obsessively before I can move past it. I have to face the horror again and again... Analyzing each thing... Imagining myself in that situation, imagining a loved one in that situation, trying to understand what these people were thinking during these moment... hundreds of scenarios before my mind can move past it.

I did this for all the ISIS videos, porche girl, etc. I was depressed for weeks and would randomly cry when I found out an acquaintance's baby drowned in a freak accident. I kept picturing the poor helpless child in her car seat as she gasped for air.

These images... These stories... These videos... Attack my mind and absolutely rip my heart out. My mind obsesses over these and the only way to move forward is a form of desensitization.

When I've seen it enough; thought about it enough; run enough scenarios; my mind is able to accept the horror and move towards normalcy.

So, so sorry my method of dealing with shocking and macabre is "disturbing" to you, DLJ.

I wanted this thread to be about the people and events that occurred instead of a meta-gun debate or passively aggressively patronizing someone.

You want him to see it from your point of view and understand why you do the things you do (aka, view the videos) and yet you're hypocritical don't do that yourself. You're a smart guy, surely you can understand why other people would view it as fucked up to go over the video footage with a fine tooth comb.

Your post felt rather unwarranted. IMO. I get everyone does things differently but you didn't need to say that in such a harsh tone, especially to someone like DLJ who's not just some dumbass schmuck.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
27-08-2015, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2015 12:17 PM by kingschosen.)
(27-08-2015 10:07 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 09:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Stfu and keep your judgments and your patronizing to yourself.

Anyone who knows me knows I am genuinely affected by stuff like this. I thought you were someone who knew me and knew my personality enough to not insinuate whatever it is you're going for with that comment.

My comment "disturbs" you? Piss off then. That is how I cope when things like this are shoved into my reality. Real death. Actual death caught on film... I have to view it, almost obsessively before I can move past it. I have to face the horror again and again... Analyzing each thing... Imagining myself in that situation, imagining a loved one in that situation, trying to understand what these people were thinking during these moment... hundreds of scenarios before my mind can move past it.

I did this for all the ISIS videos, porche girl, etc. I was depressed for weeks and would randomly cry when I found out an acquaintance's baby drowned in a freak accident. I kept picturing the poor helpless child in her car seat as she gasped for air.

These images... These stories... These videos... Attack my mind and absolutely rip my heart out. My mind obsesses over these and the only way to move forward is a form of desensitization.

When I've seen it enough; thought about it enough; run enough scenarios; my mind is able to accept the horror and move towards normalcy.

So, so sorry my method of dealing with shocking and macabre is "disturbing" to you, DLJ.

I wanted this thread to be about the people and events that occurred instead of a meta-gun debate or passively aggressively patronizing someone.

You want him to see it from your point of view and understand why you do the things you do (aka, view the videos) and yet you're hypocritical don't do that yourself. You're a smart guy, surely you can understand why other people would view it as fucked up to go over the video footage with a fine tooth comb.

Your post felt rather unwarranted. IMO. I get everyone does things differently but you didn't need to say that in such a harsh tone, especially to someone like DLJ who's not just some dumbass schmuck.

Spare me from the Hypocrisy Loop gimmick, Muffs. You can inevitably call hypocrisy on anything in an attempt to discredit. Just like I can call you a hypocrite for having any type of commentary or advice on not having a "harsh tone". Your entire TTA persona is built around you having a harsh tone, insulting people, being unpolitically correct, and not accepting other people's point of view. So you're not qualified to reprimand anyone on "harsh tone".

But anyway, it's not about me not understanding how other's can see my methods as "fucked up". I completely understand that. Aforementioned, everyone has a way of coping.

However, there is a huge difference in:

I find that a little disturbing.

Dodgy

and

I find that a little disturbing. Why do you do this?

He may not be a "dumbass schmuck" but the tone and insinuation of his comment sure was. It was insulting and patronizing to say the least.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-08-2015, 12:33 PM
(27-08-2015 12:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But anyway, it's not about me not understanding how other's can see my methods as "fucked up". I completely understand that. Aforementioned, everyone has a way of coping.

However, there is a huge difference in:

Dodgy

and

He may not be a "dumbass schmuck" but the tone and insinuation of his comment sure was. It was insulting and patronizing to say the least.

Had that been said to a stranger, I would agree wholeheartedly.

However, as you both have a long history at TTA, I can well believe he meant it as a bog-standard TTA sardonic witticism. Consider

Of course, he's a big boy and can speak for himself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2015, 12:54 PM
(27-08-2015 04:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 09:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, so sorry my method of dealing with shocking and macabre is "disturbing" to you, DLJ.

Um. I do think it's... not an ideal approach, KC. Not that I could really say, but if death stresses you out, isn't it better to avoid that stuff rather than to obsess over it? I mean, if I hear that some guy died violently, it's not nearly so stressful as seeing a photo or video of the death. For that reason I've avoided watching any of your linked stuff.

This. I'm a pretty empathic person, such that reading about the suffering of a stranger, just reading about it, can make me leak a little. Knowing this about myself, I avoid videos like those linked, like Perlman's beheading, like the Jordanian pilot burnt alive, not because I'm sheltering my self from reality, but because I internalize the suffering of others too efficiently.

I'm certainly not criticizing KC for choosing to address it the way he does, but it seems to me that desensitization is not what we should aim for as members of society. I think sensitivity to this sort of brutality is a good thing, and should be preserved.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Quote:Spare me from the Hypocrisy Loop gimmick, Muffs. You can inevitably call hypocrisy on anything in an attempt to discredit. Just like I can call you a hypocrite for having any type of commentary or advice on not having a "harsh tone". Your entire TTA persona is built around you having a harsh tone, insulting people, being unpolitically correct, and not accepting other people's point of view. So you're not qualified to reprimand anyone on "harsh tone".

Just because I'm being a hypocrite doesn't mean you're not and that I can't call you out on it. Don't like it? tough biscuits.

Quote:However, there is a huge difference in:

Dodgy

and

Hardly. Going through video footage of people dying with a fine tooth comb is weird as shit and it is a little fucked up. It's a genuine a question to ask why you do this. Surely you're not oblivious to how weird it is for someone to do that and thus can't understand DLJs concerns.
28-08-2015, 12:02 AM
(27-08-2015 06:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hardly. Going through video footage of people dying with a fine tooth comb is weird as shit and it is a little fucked up. It's a genuine a question to ask why you do this. Surely you're not oblivious to how weird it is for someone to do that and thus can't understand DLJs concerns.

KC is probably too nice to answer you on this one, Muffs, so I'll do it for him:

[Image: th?id=JN.MF%2bOlV%2f1yTuZIFC3vxnLGA&...;amp;h=300]

Well, really it was for me.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-08-2015, 12:25 AM
I too dislike seeing people get hurt. As a result I read the story but did not watch the clip.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post