News from a friend

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 11:07 AM
News from a friend
The leap from using glass-based circuits to silicon-based circuits is significant because fabricating quantum circuits in silicon has the major advantage of being compatible with modern microelectronics. Ultimately this technology could be integrated with conventional microelectronic circuits, and could one day allow the development of hybrid conventional / quantum microprocessors.

The Bristol-led team have developed quantum chips from silicon—the same material routinely used en masse to build the tiny electrical processors in all computers and smart phones. However, unlike conventional silicon chips that work by controlling electrical current, these circuits manipulate single particles of light (photons) to perform calculations. These circuits exploit strange quantum mechanical effects such as superposition (the ability for a particle to be in two places at once) and entanglement (strong correlations between particles that would be nonsensical in our everyday world). The technology developed uses the same manufacturing techniques as conventional microelectronics, and could be economically scaled for mass-manufacture. These new circuits are compatible with existing optical fibre infrastructure and are ready to be deployed directly with the internet.

Mark Thompson, Deputy Director of the Centre for Quantum Photonics in the University's Schools of Physics and Electrical & Electronic Engineering, said: "Using silicon to manipulate light, we have made circuits over 1000 times smaller than current glass-based technologies. It will be possible to mass-produce this kind of chip using standard microelectronic techniques, and the much smaller size means it can be incorporated in to technology and devices that would not previously have been compatible with glass chips. "This is very much the start of a new field of quantum-engineering, where state-of-the-art micro-chip manufacturing techniques are used to develop new quantum technologies and will eventually realise quantum computers that will help us understand the most complex scientific problems."

Along with recent demonstrations from the Bristol research group and other groups showing on-chip generation of photonics qubits and results from the US showing on-chip detection of single photons, the Bristol-lead research team now believes that all the key components are in place to realise a fully functioning quantum processor—a powerful type of computer that uses quantum bits (qubits) rather than the conventional bits used in today's computers. Quantum computers will have unprecedented computational power for tasks including search engines and the design of new materials and pharmaceuticals. This work, carried out with collaborators including Heriot-Watt University in Scotland and Delft University in the Netherlands, is an essential step towards the miniaturisations of quantum technologies.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-09-silicon...antum.html#jCp

The source i got that from, keeps and ear to the group

He knows im a prick, but loves to show the science of what is actually occuring.

his sig.

All men act like jack-asses when they're in love. - Aunt Martha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 11:23 AM by Logisch.)
RE: News from a friend
I would like to read the rest of the article, but it gives me a 404 not found on your link. I literally see "http://phys.org/news/2012-09-silicon...antum.html#jCp" as the source, I'm guessing there is more to the link where the "..." part is and it got copied wrong.

(edit)I found it.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-silicon-chi...antum.html

Interesting. I have a friend that works at intel, he said people have been talking about this stuff for a while. It would be interesting to actually see it implemented. Exciting to think about really. Imagine having the processing power of 16 cores in 1 or 2 cores instead all because of the way the circuit is able to compute things on a smaller and much faster scale. Would be a huge step for microcontrollers too.

But... what will the cost be?
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
(10-09-2012 11:17 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I would like to read the rest of the article, but it gives me a 404 not found on your link. I literally see "http://phys.org/news/2012-09-silicon...antum.html#jCp" as the source, I'm guessing there is more to the link where the "..." part is and it got copied wrong.

(edit)I found it.

http://phys.org/news/2012-09-silicon-chi...antum.html

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2012/8755.html

Quote:Interesting. I have a friend that works at intel, he said people have been talking about this stuff for a while. It would be interesting to actually see it implemented. Exciting to think about really. Imagine having the processing power of 16 cores in 1 or 2 cores instead all because of the way the circuit is able to compute things on a smaller and much faster scale. Would be a huge step for microcontrollers too.

But... what will the cost be?

ask your friend about the technology? How are the crystals storing the energy?

Refracting of values?

Is the electromagnetic field resonating?

ask about the exciton polariton soliton... which system of description are they using?

Are the chambers being used, are they of 'nano-growth' to pre-impose a value or just as the base crystals before (soliton) chambers are imposed?

how many know how and why this shit works?

i just babble with inquiries....?
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Bishadi you were told to not post any new topics in the science forum, By the admin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 2 users Like FSM_scot's post
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Those are things I don't know, and I'm not even sure if the tech is available to him to know or ask or understand those questions. But "quantum computing" has been talked about a good bit last year and this year. If it was something they were developing to sell I'm not sure if they'd even share that info with anyone willingly lol.

I'm interested in how it works though, I hope more info comes out on it because it is really interesting stuff.
10-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Quickly, remove the head or destroy the brain!!!!111

EDIT: I can't find a brain!!!!

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM
(10-09-2012 11:40 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Bishadi you were told to not post any new topics in the science forum, By the admin.

no i wasnt.

i was told not to spam

If opening threads on science, current, fresh and new, that so happens to be rendering just about exactly what i have been claiming and it clearly making a fool of the so called science folks around here, then so fucking what

i have no respect for idiots and so far, each item i post is backed up and the only thing you punks can do is rant.

i am used to it,

dont feel bad, now as you will when you realize, that of all the idiots for you to argue with, i am the last one you would ever want to
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
(10-09-2012 12:02 PM)Bishadi Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 11:40 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Bishadi you were told to not post any new topics in the science forum, By the admin.

no i wasnt.

i was told not to spam

Oh? Really?

(09-09-2012 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Do not post any new topics in the science forum.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
10-09-2012, 12:09 PM
(10-09-2012 12:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 12:02 PM)Bishadi Wrote:  no i wasnt.

i was told not to spam

Oh? Really?

(09-09-2012 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Do not post any new topics in the science forum.

i guess i am becoming like this peanut gallery and not reading what someone that is supposed to know, is saying.
10-09-2012, 12:09 PM
(10-09-2012 12:09 PM)Bishadi Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 12:07 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Oh? Really?

i guess i am becoming like this peanut gallery and not reading what someone that is supposed to know, is saying.

which subject should i open my next thread on?