Newsweek - Scientists Prove God Exists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2017, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2017 12:55 PM by Cheerful Charlie.)
Newsweek - Scientists Prove God Exists?
Here's a little chew toy for everyone to play with.

http://www.newsweek.com/god-faith-religi...god-608897

DOES GOD EXIST? SOME SCIENTISTS THINK THEY HAVE PROOF

"Such trends have ironically been taking place even as, I would argue, the probability for the existence of a supernatural god have been rising. In my 2015 book, “God? Very Probably: Five Rational Ways to Think about the Question of a God,” I look at physics, the philosophy of human consciousness, evolutionary biology, mathematics, the history of religion and theology to explore whether such a god exists. I should say that I am trained originally as an economist, but have been working at the intersection of economics, environmentalism and theology since the 1990s."

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
14-05-2017, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2017 12:46 PM by Vera.)
RE: Newsweek - Scientists Prove God Exists?
"the entire 20th century was an orgy of whim worship" - I don't have the tiniest of clues what this even means but I find it strangely fascinating. Do tell us more, you unknown internet commenter.

[Image: im-all-ears.png]

(The quoted bit about that bozo being originally an economist made me guffaw so loud, I woke the dog up. (Well, not really, but I would have, if I weren't the extremely unloud person that I am Rolleyes )

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
14-05-2017, 12:37 PM
(14-05-2017 12:17 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I look at physics, the philosophy of human consciousness, evolutionary biology, mathematics, the history of religion and theology to explore whether such a god exists. I should say that I am trained originally as an economist, but have been working at the intersection of economics, environmentalism and theology since the 1990s."

What huge steaming pile of argument from ignorance. An economist "looking at" physics, biology, etc ? What the fuck is "the philosophy of human consciousness"?

The "intersection of economics, environmentalism and theology" sounds like a null set to me.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 9 users Like unfogged's post
14-05-2017, 12:41 PM
And the qualifications for this author explaining the universe are what exactly?

Quote:Robert H. Nelson is a Professor of Public Policy, University of Maryland.

I wouldn't ask this person for a medical diagnosis either.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like abaris's post
14-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Meh, just pure god of the gaps, nothing new.

Math works, and is founded on some axioms about which we are not sure why they work, therefore god.

According to a hobbyist who isn't even a theologian, much less a mathematician.

Maybe I should write an op-ed for Time. Maybe I should offer my opinions on better brain surgery techniques. After all, I'm a highly qualified software developer who's been writing for years about the intersection of cold fusion and public policy with medical malpractice. And I actually saw a guy's brains once through a hole in his head, which is more than most people can say.
[+] 7 users Like mordant's post
14-05-2017, 01:04 PM
This article smacks of "Gish Gallop". Lots of less than probable ideas tossed out en masse to overwhelm us all with a massive nonsense assault.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 6 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
14-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:Editor’s note: This is a revised version of the original piece. We have done so to make explicit the author’s expertise with regard to the subject of this article. We have also incorporated important context that was missing in the original version.

Except I can't see anywhere where relevant expertise is listed nor any "important context". What a pile of shit. Newsweek should be ashamed.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
14-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I have no problem with the existence of God/gods.I think that God that humans worship is a human-social-cultural construct projecting mankind's idealism on morality,ethics,authority,love,sacrifice,submission,duty,purpose,emotions,need to control human impulses,peace,stability,life's questions,questions about reality,self worth,importance of human kind etc.And this God[a human projection] doesn't describe an iota of real characteristics of an actual God/gods who may exist.
[+] 2 users Like sea_tiger's post
14-05-2017, 01:34 PM
(14-05-2017 01:27 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  And this God[a human projection] doesn't describe an iota of real characteristics of an actual God/gods who may exist.

I think you've just redefined God (an already ambiguous word) to the point where even a Christian would call it a useless definition.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
14-05-2017, 01:45 PM
(14-05-2017 01:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-05-2017 01:27 PM)sea_tiger Wrote:  And this God[a human projection] doesn't describe an iota of real characteristics of an actual God/gods who may exist.

I think you've just redefined God (an already ambiguous word) to the point where even a Christian would call it a useless definition.

Sorry, I may have framed it in an uncomprehensible way.
Basically I was saying that human concept of of god is not a good map of reality.[I just weaved a lot of words around this idea]
[+] 4 users Like sea_tiger's post