Newton's third law of motion. Is it true? Is it still held true today?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
RE: Newton's third law of motion. Is it true? Is it still held true today?
(02-07-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 09:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, please, please, tell me where you're going with this. The suspense is killing me.

What if.....(hypothetical) you catapulted a vehicle at hundreds of miles an hour into building. According to newtons law there should be pieces of the vehicle strewn out around due to the impact.

Only if the object and the building were perfectly elastic, which they're not.

Much of the kinetic energy of impact is translated into heat and to deformation of the objects concerned.
Things disintegrate. That takes energy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
(02-07-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  What if.....(hypothetical) you catapulted a vehicle at hundreds of miles an hour into building. According to newtons law there should be pieces of the vehicle strewn out around due to the impact.

Oh fuck me.

9/11 trutherism.

Well, I guess I win the bet I made against myself...

The world is not composed of perfectly inelastic objects of uniform density. Newton's laws are the foundational principles of kinematics but there is a hell of a lot more going on in any real scenario beyond pucks on an air hockey table.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm starting to see why people gang up on I and I. If you want to start a 9/11 thread start one, heck I would participate....I think that flight over PA was downed by the military not some selfless dude with a cell phone who can magically break through cockpit doors....

...but don't keep starting these fuckinging threads about Neuton's Law and working for the FBI to bait us in before dropping a deuce on the second page for us all to witness.

Ps. Apologies to the mods if I have overstepped my bounds.

[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
(02-07-2013 10:22 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I'm starting to see why people gang up on I and I. If you want to start a 9/11 thread start one, heck I would participate....I think that flight over PA was downed by the military not some selfless dude with a cell phone who can magically break through cockpit doors....

...but don't keep starting these fuckinging threads about Neuton's Law and working for the FBI to bait us in before dropping a deuce on the second page for us all to witness.

This is the way he rolls. He's been told he's an asshole for doing this, but he doesn't get it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
(01-07-2013 01:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/ne.../u2l4a.cfm

I believe this is true. What do you guys think?

Yes. This is video of the Third Law of Motion in action.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
(02-07-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 09:29 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, please, please, tell me where you're going with this. The suspense is killing me.

What if.....(hypothetical) you catapulted a vehicle at hundreds of miles an hour into building. According to newtons law there should be pieces of the vehicle strewn out around due to the impact.

No it doesn't. There's no requirement in the Third Law that even a fragment remain.

Also.......WHAT THE LIVING, BREATHING, MIND MELDING, ASS REAMING, MONKEY BAGGING, SHIT SLINGING, TITTIE OOGOLING, JESUS H. CHRIST IN A CAR SEAT, PIPING HOT BOWL OF ACTUAL FUCK DOES THE THIRD LAW OF MOTION HAVE TO DO WITH THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
(02-07-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  What if.....(hypothetical) you catapulted a vehicle at hundreds of miles an hour into building.
Your insurance company would jack your rates up sky high.

(02-07-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  According to newtons law there should be pieces of the vehicle strewn out around due to the impact.
Nope, says no such thing.

Next?

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
(02-07-2013 10:22 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  I'm starting to see why people gang up on I and I. If you want to start a 9/11 thread start one, heck I would participate....I think that flight over PA was downed by the military not some selfless dude with a cell phone who can magically break through cockpit doors....

And what should my response be?

A. Buy you guys some pie

B. Attack RIGHT MOTHA FUCKIN BACK

C. Say thank you
02-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Hey stupid fucking fucks

The woo woo right wing pretend atheist Uncle Sam cock sucking stupid fucks that make of the majority of this site are now fucking saying like Chas explicitly said, two opposing objects crashing into one another should make them disintegrate completely? Not crash into pieces and be strewn about but shoud disintegrate completely. Tell me how this is physically possible with regards to chunks of metal being slammed Into one another.