Next Gen Batteries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2014, 03:47 PM
RE: Next Gen Batteries
(30-11-2014 09:32 AM)Chas Wrote:  Do you mean time to recharge or number of recharges?

I would sacrifice time to recharge for any improvement in battery capacity or longevity or cost.

I don't really have anything that takes very long to recharge... So I mean't longevity. My non-replaceable phone battery is crapping out after a couple years, and It's really pissing me off since the phone is still capable of everything except making it through the day.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2014, 04:01 PM
(30-11-2014 03:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 02:42 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Diamonds are expensive because real diamonds can't be made in a lab, they can only be made naturally. Cubic Zirconia or replica diamond is a lot cheaper because it can be made a lot easier. Real diamond rings can be anywhere from mid hundreds to thousands of dollars. As for Cubic Zirconia, Macys has a ring on sale for $38.

Ummm, no. Synthetic diamonds are made in laboratories. They are real diamonds just not natural ones. Cubic zirconia is often cut to look like a diamond but is something different. And, yes. The diamond industry, De Beers in particular, has a long history of artificial price manipulation in the diamond market.

Ok so they can be made in a lab but I can still find synthetic diamond jewelry a lot cheaper than real, natural diamond because they can be produced in a lab.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-11-2014, 04:12 PM
(30-11-2014 04:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 03:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Ummm, no. Synthetic diamonds are made in laboratories. They are real diamonds just not natural ones. Cubic zirconia is often cut to look like a diamond but is something different. And, yes. The diamond industry, De Beers in particular, has a long history of artificial price manipulation in the diamond market.

Ok so they can be made in a lab but I can still find synthetic diamond jewelry a lot cheaper than real, natural diamond because they can be produced in a lab.

No "real" diamonds are only expensive because they are owned by a global monopoly. Diamonds are not actually that rare. Demand has been inflated through marketing and supply is strictly controlled. It is a false commodity.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
30-11-2014, 04:15 PM
If we could find a way to make diamond batteries, we'd be golden!
30-11-2014, 05:04 PM
(30-11-2014 04:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 04:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Ok so they can be made in a lab but I can still find synthetic diamond jewelry a lot cheaper than real, natural diamond because they can be produced in a lab.

No "real" diamonds are only expensive because they are owned by a global monopoly. Diamonds are not actually that rare. Demand has been inflated through marketing and supply is strictly controlled. It is a false commodity.

Well I doubt they will treat these batteries the same since last time I checked, batteries are not owned by a global monopoly.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
30-11-2014, 05:19 PM
(30-11-2014 05:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 04:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No "real" diamonds are only expensive because they are owned by a global monopoly. Diamonds are not actually that rare. Demand has been inflated through marketing and supply is strictly controlled. It is a false commodity.

Well I doubt they will treat these batteries the same since last time I checked, batteries are not owned by a global monopoly.

That is a saving grace, though given the penchant for multinationals to merge there is a danger of this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-11-2014, 05:54 PM
(30-11-2014 04:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 03:37 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Ummm, no. Synthetic diamonds are made in laboratories. They are real diamonds just not natural ones. Cubic zirconia is often cut to look like a diamond but is something different. And, yes. The diamond industry, De Beers in particular, has a long history of artificial price manipulation in the diamond market.

That's true. You can buy a synthetic diamond for 30 to 40% less than you can get a similar quality natural one. The question is why? Chemically they are identical. It isn't rarity either. Production of natural gem quality diamonds is many times that of synthetic ones, and as has already been pointed out natural diamonds are even all that rare when compared to some other gemstones. Diamonds may be a thousand times more abundant than tanzanite but sells for many times more. Other gemstones are much rarer.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
30-11-2014, 08:55 PM
(30-11-2014 09:23 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 11:14 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well I meant cheaper to buy since it's produced easier with more abundant materials.

Yeah no, they will end up like diamonds.

You know nothing (of business) John Snow.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
01-12-2014, 02:03 AM
(30-11-2014 05:54 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 04:01 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Ok so they can be made in a lab but I can still find synthetic diamond jewelry a lot cheaper than real, natural diamond because they can be produced in a lab.

That's true. You can buy a synthetic diamond for 30 to 40% less than you can get a similar quality natural one. The question is why? Chemically they are identical. It isn't rarity either. Production of natural gem quality diamonds is many times that of synthetic ones, and as has already been pointed out natural diamonds are even all that rare when compared to some other gemstones. Diamonds may be a thousand times more abundant than tanzanite but sells for many times more. Other gemstones are much rarer.

I don't know.

03-12-2014, 09:50 PM
(30-11-2014 05:19 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(30-11-2014 05:04 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well I doubt they will treat these batteries the same since last time I checked, batteries are not owned by a global monopoly.

That is a saving grace, though given the penchant for multinationals to merge there is a danger of this.

Seeing how this is something that can be made cheap and sold expensively you should not be surprised if it is owned by the global monopoly in a heart beat.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube