Ni Hao!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2016, 08:20 AM
RE: Ni Hao!
欢迎新禧

Have to add more text.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Why ni hao if you're from Indiana? lol Welcome!

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
03-01-2016, 10:29 AM
(30-12-2015 06:44 AM)Hobbyfarmer Wrote:  Hello all. I am a non-believer from Indiana. I tried religion; it didn't stick. Hailing from a Catholic family and surrounded by evangelicals has me searching for places where my lack of belief doesn't provoke awkwardness or outright hostility. Throw in a dash of insomnia and here I am at 7 A.M.
I never never paid much attention to the thought/philosophy behind atheism until I came across the video Atheism: A Brief History of Disbelief on PBS. This left me wanting more. Any books, lectures, videos, or threads that might feed the beast would be greatly appreciated.
When I am not perfecting my skills as an international man of leisure, my time is spent tending my land and working at the family veterinary clinic. I love books, music, art, animals, etc. My interests are pretty eclectic so I hope to discuss a wide range of topics.

Welcome! Former Catholic myself, raised amid the cornfields of Iowa.

Are you a vet? My dad was a large animal veterinarian so I also worked in the family vet clinic - which for years was an office attached to our house.

Welcome! We are an eclectic bunch. I think you will like it here.

Big Grin

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-01-2016, 10:32 AM
(01-01-2016 10:48 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Why ni hao if you're from Indiana? lol Welcome!

I spent time living and working in China.
03-01-2016, 10:41 AM
(01-01-2016 07:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Barbados sheep are the most care free, unless you want wool...
Interesting. I haven't decided on a breed yet. I have come up with specifics about the breed I'm looking for though. First and foremost, it must be a heritage breed. My interest is in quality wool primarily. Milk and meat are secondary. The only butchering I plan on is for personal consumption and the local halal market on occasion. I would welcome anyone's experiences with breeds that fit this criteria.
03-01-2016, 10:53 AM
(03-01-2016 10:29 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(30-12-2015 06:44 AM)Hobbyfarmer Wrote:  Hello all. I am a non-believer from Indiana. I tried religion; it didn't stick. Hailing from a Catholic family and surrounded by evangelicals has me searching for places where my lack of belief doesn't provoke awkwardness or outright hostility. Throw in a dash of insomnia and here I am at 7 A.M.
I never never paid much attention to the thought/philosophy behind atheism until I came across the video Atheism: A Brief History of Disbelief on PBS. This left me wanting more. Any books, lectures, videos, or threads that might feed the beast would be greatly appreciated.
When I am not perfecting my skills as an international man of leisure, my time is spent tending my land and working at the family veterinary clinic. I love books, music, art, animals, etc. My interests are pretty eclectic so I hope to discuss a wide range of topics.

Welcome! Former Catholic myself, raised amid the cornfields of Iowa.

Are you a vet? My dad was a large animal veterinarian so I also worked in the family vet clinic - which for years was an office attached to our house.

Welcome! We are an eclectic bunch. I think you will like it here.

Big Grin

Thank you. I am not a vet myself. My father, brother, uncle, cousin, and several family friends are though. I figured that was enough so I studied something completely different in school haha.
03-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Welcome! Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
03-01-2016, 11:35 AM
(01-01-2016 06:16 AM)Hobbyfarmer Wrote:  
(31-12-2015 04:56 AM)John Silver Wrote:  Welcome friend...just got here the other day myself.
What do you "Farm"?
Horses, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, maple syrup, fruits, vegetables, and sometimes goats. I am contemplating Gloucester Old Spots swine, honey and an undetermined breed of sheep.

Welcome neighbor. SW Michigan here..

I do maple syrup as well....

Had a horrible year last year -- only produced 20 gallon...

Have over 230 trees marked for tapping this year. Just got the shack cleaned up yesterday, and getting ready for the season -- whenever it hits.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
03-01-2016, 11:57 AM
(03-01-2016 11:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-01-2016 06:16 AM)Hobbyfarmer Wrote:  Horses, ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, maple syrup, fruits, vegetables, and sometimes goats. I am contemplating Gloucester Old Spots swine, honey and an undetermined breed of sheep.

Welcome neighbor. SW Michigan here..

Have over 230 trees marked for tapping this year. Just got the shack cleaned up yesterday, and getting ready for the season -- whenever it hits.....
Only 20 gallons lol. I wish I had the patience for 20 gallons. Unfortunately I don't have an evaporator. Still cooking it down in a vary large stainless steel pan and finishing inside. This is only my third year cooking so I'm still quite noobish. Although, my finished product has turned out very well. The first year I tried cooking it all down inside. What a mistake! My house smelled like burnt sugar for months. Trying to save up for real equipment like a proper shack and evaporator but that stuff is expensive. Last year sucked here too.
03-01-2016, 01:29 PM
(03-01-2016 11:57 AM)Hobbyfarmer Wrote:  
(03-01-2016 11:35 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Welcome neighbor. SW Michigan here..

Only 20 gallons lol. I wish I had the patience for 20 gallons. Unfortunately I don't have an evaporator. Still cooking it down in a vary large stainless steel pan and finishing inside. This is only my third year cooking so I'm still quite noobish. Although, my finished product has turned out very well. The first year I tried cooking it all down inside. What a mistake! My house smelled like burnt sugar for months. Trying to save up for real equipment like a proper shack and evaporator but that stuff is expensive. Last year sucked here too.

Trust me -- if I can do it on my limited budget (fixed - been retired since I turned 40 -- 55 now) you can do it.....

I built my arch (the thing you boil syrup on, for the uninitiated) out of a 275 gallon fuel oil drum. It's currently the V 7.0 or so of the original. It's got a moving fire grate, that allows the fire to be drawn up to the pan - for maximum efficiency.....

I burn on wood - and am getting over 20 gallons to the cord of wood. The first fire burning unit was only about 2 gallons to the cord...

You keep doing it - you keep learning.

I started off doing it on the electric stove many years ago. (don't -- it ruins the stove) I moved up to propane, kerosene - then wood. I now have a concrete block building - with a lean-to off the end for boiling. The building has a wood burning stove inside - running water - electricity -- and even a TV, DVD player an X-box - and even a laptop with printer for making labels for the syrup...... I have a quad and a AM General DJ5 for picking up sap - and a 350 gallon feed tank - with a sump pumped dump bin - to pump sap up to the feed tank......

You add stuff every year -- and hope someday you make a profit....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post