Nice Christian Man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2015, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2015 12:07 PM by f stop.)
Nice Christian Man
The recent snow and cold weather remind me of this event which took place around 1982. In the inclement conditions I found myself driving a four lane highway near Delaware, Ohio when I passed a car in the ditch. I had a mobile ham radio installed in my car (this was before cell phones) so I stopped with the intention of using my ham rig to call the driver's people who could then come help. The driver was a teenage girl. Try as I might, I could not seem to convey my plan to the girl. The concept of a mobile ham rig seemed foreign to her.

While trying to explain my rescue plan a roving tow truck stopped and asked if we wanted a tow. The girl had no money and the tow truck guy was not taking credit cards or checks. I managed to dig $35 out of my wallet, which left me with no money for lunch or gas. In a few minutes the girl's car was out of the ditch. She asked me for my name and address and said she would pay me back. I did not expect to ever see the money again. I got home that night with my gas gauge pointing at "E".

About a week later I got a letter and a check from the girl's mother. She said she thanked the Lord for providing such a nice Christian man to come to her daughter's aid and that they would pray for me.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
16-01-2015, 12:16 PM
RE: Nice Christian Man
Don't leave us hanging bro!

The end of the story, presumably, is that you wrote back and told her that your Lord Satan will protect her daughter.

Am I right?

Yes

Or was it simply that "Good Samaritans are, by definition, not christians"?

Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-01-2015, 12:17 PM
So did you reply as a nice atheist or were you still theist back then?

The devil made you do it
[+] 2 users Like RogueWarrior's post
16-01-2015, 12:18 PM
RE: Where do atheists get their morals
Just recently...

My van has a backup camera, I don't use it exclusively but I do glance at it -- check mirrors and that. I saw in the camera, a child run behind my van. Now I couldn't physically see her in my mirrors, she was too small but the camera saw her and I stopped backing up...OF COURSE!

A man came running up and scooped up the girl and came around to the driver's side to thank me. And said, "there was a angel on my shoulder nudging me to stop my car."

I replied no, I have a backup camera and was just being observant. I'm sure someone else might have agreed that god somehow intervened. I'm sure others would argue that god put my van there just so it could happen..

Atheist morals come from the same place all morals come from....and it's not from god.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-01-2015, 12:28 PM
(16-01-2015 12:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Don't leave us hanging bro!

The end of the story, presumably, is that you wrote back and told her that your Lord Satan will protect her daughter.

Am I right?

Yes

Or was it simply that "Good Samaritans are, by definition, not christians"?

Big Grin
I just had a good laugh and cashed the check.

Sapere aude
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
16-01-2015, 12:32 PM
(16-01-2015 12:17 PM)RogueWarrior Wrote:  So did you reply as a nice atheist or were you still theist back then?
I was an agnostic at age 12 and atheist by 18.

When the theists pull the "Well, you were never really a Christian" ploy I simply answer "Correct!"

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
16-01-2015, 12:50 PM
(16-01-2015 12:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Just recently...

My van has a backup camera, I don't use it exclusively but I do glance at it -- check mirrors and that. I saw in the camera, a child run behind my van. Now I couldn't physically see her in my mirrors, she was too small but the camera saw her and I stopped backing up...OF COURSE!

A man came running up and scooped up the girl and came around to the driver's side to thank me. And said, "there was a angel on my shoulder nudging me to stop my car."

I replied no, I have a backup camera and was just being observant. I'm sure someone else might have agreed that god somehow intervened. I'm sure others would argue that god put my van there just so it could happen..

Atheist morals come from the same place all morals come from....and it's not from god.
During my teens my aunt backed her car over my two year old cousin. He died a few hours later. At the funeral my aunt kept saying "It's God's will. It's God's will".

Just another chapter in my non-conversion story.

Also about 30 years ago I was at a McDonalds. There was a girl leaning against the back of a car in the parking lot. I saw the woman in the driver's seat sudden place both her hands on the steering wheel. I yelled, "LADY, THERE'S A KID BEHIND YOUR CAR!" She looked at me and said "I know she's there. Mind your own business."

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
16-01-2015, 01:17 PM
(16-01-2015 11:57 AM)f stop Wrote:  The recent snow and cold weather remind me of this event which took place around 1982. In the inclement conditions I found myself driving a four lane highway near Delaware, Ohio when I passed a car in the ditch. I had a mobile ham radio installed in my car (this was before cell phones) so I stopped with the intention of using my ham rig to call the driver's people who could then come help. The driver was a teenage girl. Try as I might, I could not seem to convey my plan to the girl. The concept of a mobile ham rig seemed foreign to her.

While trying to explain my rescue plan a roving tow truck stopped and asked if we wanted a tow. The girl had no money and the tow truck guy was not taking credit cards or checks. I managed to dig $35 out of my wallet, which left me with no money for lunch or gas. In a few minutes the girl's car was out of the ditch. She asked me for my name and address and said she would pay me back. I did not expect to ever see the money again. I got home that night with my gas gauge pointing at "E".

About a week later I got a letter and a check from the girl's mother. She said she thanked the Lord for providing such a nice Christian man to come to her daughter's aid and that they would pray for me.

This same kind of thing happens to me so freaken much. I have even had pastors say to me, "I can't believe you are an atheist."

Being an atheist does not define who I am. I am defined by simply being a human being.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post