Nice little chat with my dad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 06:41 AM
RE: Nice little chat with my dad
(29-10-2015 11:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The soul thing is ridiculous. There's no evidence that a soul exists. People always go on and on about the soul but it's just neurons firing in the brain, nothing more. So I get a little pissed about the soul thing.

Sorry you're going through such craziness. Do you live near your folks?

No lucklily they're a thousand miles away and don't have the money to travel up here. Plus they hate the cold.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2015, 06:53 AM
That sort of crap cost me nearly a decade of not speaking to my parents. The irony is, I think they finally "woke up" as a result of it. They ran all three of their children off with that type of beleifs. They're still as fundie as ever, but they're no longer smug and disrespectful (they still have trouble listening, and we do still have "words" about it occasionally, but it's minor stuff).

You're right, sometimes getting distance from people who hurt you like that is the only way.

All our best to you, MrKrispy. I know all too well the weight that this is adding to your service issues. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
30-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Sorry about your parents MrKrispy. It seems that if they can't respect the line that you and your wife have set for them, then cutting them off until they learn to not cross the line is provably the best option for your mental health. They may be trying to help, but unless they give you the help you truly need, you don't need this god crap thrown in you face.
30-10-2015, 02:10 PM
(30-10-2015 06:41 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 11:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The soul thing is ridiculous. There's no evidence that a soul exists. People always go on and on about the soul but it's just neurons firing in the brain, nothing more. So I get a little pissed about the soul thing.

Sorry you're going through such craziness. Do you live near your folks?

No lucklily they're a thousand miles away and don't have the money to travel up here. Plus they hate the cold.

I've been married over twenty years and I think the best part of our marriage is that we live far from both our families.

Keep your distance if you can. It's great! Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-10-2015, 09:39 AM
(29-10-2015 11:23 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The soul thing is ridiculous. There's no evidence that a soul exists.

Not only is there no evidence of it, there's no plausible mechanism of action to even suggest it.

#sigh
31-10-2015, 10:26 AM
(29-10-2015 08:45 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Well it was more like him trying to convert me. So he calls me not 5 minutes ago due to me having suicidal ideation not actual plans or anything. For a while I kept my folks in the dark because they don't handle anything well. So he goes on telling me how I have to live because of him and my mom and how I should give up my benefits and just leave the military because of what it's doing to me. Then the god talk comes in.

He thinks that because I've turned from god that's why I don't appreciate life and how I need to stop reading all these books and just accept things. Meanwhile when I try to correct him on why I'm actually an atheist he says he doesn't even want to hear what I have to say. Then he goes into the whole soul bullshit and when I try to intervene this time a little more abrasive he again doesn't want to listen because he thinks the devil is talking for me.

I think it's about time I cut my folks off for good. I've told him repeatedly that we shouldn't talk about this because he never even bothers to here my side. I'm so done with my family this is all there is no education no want to even have more knowledge they just want to stay in their bubble and not even acknowledge that I don't believe that way. He thinks he raised me wrong and that's why I'm this way. Just goes to further prove what me and my wife were discussing. Sometimes the great problem in your life is your "family".

Oh did I mention he disrespected my wife by saying I'm suicidal because she doesn't give a shit? Yeah I'm done with all of them. And I don't feel one bit of guilt about it.

Ugh

Sorry you have to deal with that. Try to compartmentalize and remove yourself from negative/pessimistic influences. Unfortunately if that includes family, then perhaps you need to do what is best for you and your wife....at least for the time being. There is a lot in life worth living for...love, things you are passionate about, things to enjoy....focus on those things. If you need to talk, pm me.....and I truly mean that.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
31-10-2015, 11:01 AM
It is annoying that people think they can fix your problems with woo......

It's like having a flat tire on your car, and somebody offering some chicken soup to fix it....

Sure, thanks, nice effort man -- but I'm still gonna have a flat tire.............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Your parents are just trying to help you their own way, but is that the main reason behind your distress? As long as they feel you need their help, they'll keep trying their best, so you have two main choices
1) Figure out why you are really distressed and fix it so that they don't feel the need to worry over you.
2) Put some distance between you and give them room to think things through on their own

[Image: 004.sig]