Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2015, 05:01 PM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(13-07-2015 06:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wut?

How about, "if you want divine justice, eat cheese".

[Image: fc83ct004-03_xlg.jpg]

This post wins the internets.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2015, 12:37 PM
(30-07-2015 04:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 10:03 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Sorry. You want evidence that the universe began in the finite, not infinite, past? It is impossible, being today, for their to have been an "infinite" number of past times. It is impossible, given the laws of entropy, for there to have been an infinite number of big bangs. Each "explosion" would drain the amount of energy that is allowable under the laws of conservation of energy and entropy of energy. Do you disagree?

That has nothing to do with what I wrote.

Quote:And yes, it would be presupposition idiocy of the "highest" order to say humans are meant to be here--or any life--except for the fact that there are numerous markers of intentional design and messaging within all life.

No, there aren't. If you find any you will get a Nobel Prize.

DNA is based on an "alphabet" of four "characters" with meaning. A one-celled animal has more information encoded within than Wikipedia. Gimme my prize, because if you find "Take out the garbage, please, Chas," in your alphabet soup, you will never think it was a random process, but a designed process.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-07-2015, 12:48 PM
(31-07-2015 12:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 04:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  That has nothing to do with what I wrote.

DNA is based on an "alphabet" of four "characters" with meaning. A one-celled animal has more information encoded within than Wikipedia. Gimme my prize, because if you find "Take out the garbage, please, Chas," in your alphabet soup, you will never think it was a random process, but a designed process.

You sound like a person so devoted to a misguided world you think the words you see in a crossworld puzzle are messages to you. Yes there is also people who do think that way my Sister even does. She felt bad for not visiting our grandmother for a bit and worried about her health unjustifiably after seeing her name in a crossword puzzle.

The power of the mind to envision design is horribly misguided and noticeable. We see it in the shadows, clouds, word jumbles, and when we trip on our feet. These types of ticks and flaws in human minds are easily understood by evolutionary purposes and demonstrate similarity across life.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-07-2015, 08:37 PM
(31-07-2015 12:37 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 04:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  That has nothing to do with what I wrote.

And no such pattern has been found. Try again.

You do not understand the figurative use of the English language in describing DNA and other scientific concepts.
There is no "letters" or actual alphabet or language - there is only chemistry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-08-2015, 01:48 PM
All,

There is nothing figurative in understanding the DNA alphabet in composing meaningful sequences. Alterations of sequences of such information can lead to non-beneficial mutations and to organism death.

While I describe the patterns inside life as intelligently designed and you do not, we can start by finding common ground. A lot of information is within each cell. Agree or disagree?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
03-08-2015, 05:56 PM
(03-08-2015 01:48 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

There is nothing figurative in understanding the DNA alphabet in composing meaningful sequences. Alterations of sequences of such information can lead to non-beneficial mutations and to organism death.

While I describe the patterns inside life as intelligently designed and you do not, we can start by finding common ground. A lot of information is within each cell. Agree or disagree?

There is mindless information there. It is chemistry.

04-08-2015, 09:28 AM
(03-08-2015 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 01:48 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

There is mindless information there. It is chemistry.

In the film Contact, a SETI researcher is thrilled to find prime numbers beamed toward her viewpoint on Earth from space--prime number signals being a signal of intelligence acknowledging those numbers... same for a simple five-note "message" in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Either a five-note repeating song or prime numbers would be regarded as an extraordinary radio signal. You are saying there is nothing significant in finding million-base-pair long genomes in the simplest celled animals--animals that you would say were with us from the beginning of life, and that million-long sequences show no evidence of irreducible complexity or intelligent design?

My friend, your feet are firmly planted in mid-air.

04-08-2015, 09:36 AM
(04-08-2015 09:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is mindless information there. It is chemistry.

In the film Contact, a SETI researcher is thrilled to find prime numbers beamed toward her viewpoint on Earth from space--prime number signals being a signal of intelligence acknowledging those numbers... same for a simple five-note "message" in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Either a five-note repeating song or prime numbers would be regarded as an extraordinary radio signal. You are saying there is nothing significant in finding million-base-pair long genomes in the simplest celled animals--animals that you would say were with us from the beginning of life, and that million-long sequences show no evidence of irreducible complexity or intelligent design?

My friend, your feet are firmly planted in mid-air.

In the way you are using significant, no.(only in the way that it's "significant" in discovering any detail we discover of biology/chemistry/astronomy is significant to our attempts to understand more) It's just a formation that is worth looking at but is not evidence there is or evidence there isn't intelligent design.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-08-2015, 12:01 PM
(04-08-2015 09:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is mindless information there. It is chemistry.

Using fiction as an argument? Facepalm

Quote:Either a five-note repeating song or prime numbers would be regarded as an extraordinary radio signal.

A repeating sequence of prime numbers would certainly be regarded as significant.
A five-note sequence? Not so much.

Quote:You are saying there is nothing significant in finding million-base-pair long genomes in the simplest celled animals--animals that you would say were with us from the beginning of life,

Hold it right there, Bunky. Today's single-celled animals have not been "with us from the beginning of life". These are creatures with billions of years of evolution behind them.

Quote:and that million-long sequences show no evidence of irreducible complexity or intelligent design?

Since your premise is wrong, your conclusion does not follow.
The complex development and creatures have evolved to be what they are, built up over unimaginably long periods from simple beginnings.

Quote:My friend, your feet are firmly planted in mid-air.

Oh, Mr.Delusion, you are hilarious. And sad.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-08-2015, 01:12 PM
How many times does it need to be explained to you that the process of building up the patterns you call coded information is an all-natural thing, which no more indicates a Designer than the patterns of six-sided snowflakes. The SETI researchers you speak of find patterns all the time, but they filter for apparent patterns that are actually the result of natural phenomena. If you had actually read Sagan's book before citing it, you'd even know some of the ways they do that, at SETI.

If there was an intelligent designer, it would be child's play to encode actual data in the otherwise random patterns (some of which get shaped by the non-random forces of Natural Selection acting on coding regions) which we could recognize as a Designer Tag in the DNA... but the fact is, even the most strident proponent of ID doesn't claim what you claim, here. Dr. Behe, for instance, would not say that DNA is magically shaped in order to encode at all, only that specific types of code appear (to him, that is, of course...and he has been specifically disproved on a number of his Irreducible Complexity claims) to need guidance to form complex biochemical pathways.

So you're well beyond the claims of Intelligent Design and off the deep end into pure Creationist claptrap. But somehow you're gonna keep convincing yourself that there's a scientific conspiracy against believers, that we only say your views are idiotic because we hate believers, and that it's okay to keep Lying For God. You're gonna believe in utter, provably-false nonsense no matter what we tell you or what scholarly work we link you to... and THAT is the real magic.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson