Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm sorry, but your trite "like is mere chemicals" pronouncement is only held to by atheists.

If only reality gave a damn about what people believe. And, more to the point, if only anyone could produce any evidence to the contrary whatsoever.

(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Most people feel that life, love, joy, justice, experience, knowledge, power and many other things of importance may not be measured empirically or chemically.

And they are wrong.

I advise you to pick up a textbook on basic medical theory and neuroscience. All of the above - save "power", "justice", and "experience", which are nebulous, abstract concepts - are demonstrably neurochemical reactions taking place within the brain.

(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If you continue to disagree, tell your current paramour that you will leave the relationship immediately when the chemical attraction has worn off or mostly worn off. See what you get!

So tell her that, if I stop loving her, I will leave her?

Rather tactless, but also rather true. What is your point?

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2015, 01:59 PM
(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(20-08-2015 09:42 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Life is just chemicals. Source: literally everything we have ever learned in biology and its related fields.

Chemicals react in certain ways under certain conditions, always. Source: literally everything we have ever learned in chemistry and its related fields.

Placing certain chemicals under certain conditions will result in reactions taking place which produce the chemical bases for life (amino acids and the like). Source: extrapolated from the above, confirmed by Miller-Urey experiment.

It is chemically possible to work your way up from amino acids to more complex chemical structures. Source: all of the above, save perhaps the Miller-Urey experiment. The entire field of biochemistry.

Organic compounds have formed under conditions other than those found on Earth. Source: building blocks of amino acids discovered in space, amino acids themselves discovered in space.

And so on.

I'm sorry, but your trite "like is mere chemicals" pronouncement is only held to by atheists. Most people feel that life, love, joy, justice, experience, knowledge, power and many other things of importance may not be measured empirically or chemically. If you continue to disagree, tell your current paramour that you will leave the relationship immediately when the chemical attraction has worn off or mostly worn off. See what you get!

It is from comments like that one that we conclude you are willfully dishonest, or else ignorant beyond repair. We have a pretty solid basis for the "just chemicals" biochemical basis of pair-bonding. (What I like to call love and commitment.)

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v7/n...n1327.html

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-08-2015, 08:25 AM
(26-08-2015 12:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm sorry, but your trite "like is mere chemicals" pronouncement is only held to by atheists.

If only reality gave a damn about what people believe. And, more to the point, if only anyone could produce any evidence to the contrary whatsoever.

(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Most people feel that life, love, joy, justice, experience, knowledge, power and many other things of importance may not be measured empirically or chemically.

And they are wrong.

I advise you to pick up a textbook on basic medical theory and neuroscience. All of the above - save "power", "justice", and "experience", which are nebulous, abstract concepts - are demonstrably neurochemical reactions taking place within the brain.

(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  If you continue to disagree, tell your current paramour that you will leave the relationship immediately when the chemical attraction has worn off or mostly worn off. See what you get!

Quote:So tell her that, if I stop loving her, I will leave her?

You have made my point for me regarding the obscene, almost wholly self-centered nature of what passes for ethics among atheists.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2015, 08:27 AM
(26-08-2015 01:59 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:26 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm sorry, but your trite "like is mere chemicals" pronouncement is only held to by atheists. Most people feel that life, love, joy, justice, experience, knowledge, power and many other things of importance may not be measured empirically or chemically. If you continue to disagree, tell your current paramour that you will leave the relationship immediately when the chemical attraction has worn off or mostly worn off. See what you get!

It is from comments like that one that we conclude you are willfully dishonest, or else ignorant beyond repair. We have a pretty solid basis for the "just chemicals" biochemical basis of pair-bonding. (What I like to call love and commitment.)

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v7/n...n1327.html

Which is it, my friend, I am dishonest or stupid?

What you like to call love and commitment are two different words.

Is love purely chemical?

Is commitment purely chemical?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
27-08-2015, 09:17 AM
(27-08-2015 08:25 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 12:39 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  If only reality gave a damn about what people believe. And, more to the point, if only anyone could produce any evidence to the contrary whatsoever.

And they are wrong.

You have made my point for me regarding the obscene, almost wholly self-centered nature of what passes for ethics among atheists.

Really? You have no support for that statement. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-08-2015, 10:48 AM
(27-08-2015 08:25 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  

If you say so. Personally, I would consider continuing in a loveless relationship to be harmful to both parties involved.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
27-08-2015, 12:52 PM
(27-08-2015 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 08:25 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  **

Really? You have no support for that statement. Drinking Beverage

That support is on multiple threads here... although the other poster nearby says ALL morality is subjective, meaning neither of us have support that the statement is true or false.

27-08-2015, 12:54 PM
(27-08-2015 10:48 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 08:25 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You have made my point for me regarding the obscene, almost wholly self-centered nature of what passes for ethics among atheists.

If you say so. Personally, I would consider continuing in a loveless relationship to be harmful to both parties involved.

You are backfilling. You formerly wrote that if YOU stopped loving, that would be sufficient to sever the relationship.

PS. Marriage and divorce? You know very little of either, perhaps. Very few children whose loveless parents stayed together until the children were older regretted their parents' choice. I'm sure some testimonies will not pour into the thread... oh, no, I'm so glad mum left dad... but we're speaking of loveless, not abusive, relationships. Your unfortunate statements are a part of the endemic divorce problem in this fallen world.

27-08-2015, 02:42 PM
(27-08-2015 12:52 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You have made my point for me regarding the obscene, almost wholly self-centered nature of what passes for ethics among atheists.

(27-08-2015 09:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Really? You have no support for that statement. Drinking Beverage

That support is on multiple threads here... although the other poster nearby says ALL morality is subjective, meaning neither of us have support that the statement is true or false.

No, it isn't. What is on multiple threads is evidence of moral and ethical behavior of atheists. Try looking at the Support thread.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-08-2015, 05:57 PM
(27-08-2015 12:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 10:48 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  If you say so. Personally, I would consider continuing in a loveless relationship to be harmful to both parties involved.

You are backfilling. You formerly wrote that if YOU stopped loving, that would be sufficient to sever the relationship.

Well, yes. Unrequited love does not a healthy relationship make. It takes two to tango, as they say.

(27-08-2015 12:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PS. Marriage and divorce? You know very little of either, perhaps. Very few children whose loveless parents stayed together until the children were older regretted their parents' choice.

Actually, most of them do. Dysfunctional homes are not a happy thing to witness. Or are you incapable of conceiving of a home life that is less than idyllic so long as the term "marriage" is involved?

[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post