Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(28-08-2015 09:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm neither dishonest nor stupid.

Yes, because the insane are well-known for the ability to self-diagnose.

But seriously - why, then, pretend so hard to be?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
28-08-2015, 09:43 AM
(28-08-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 10:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The apologists's dilemma: which is it?

Either outright lying for Jesus, or just rock-chewing dumbfuck: YOU decide!

Can I possibly pay you to attend my public debates about Christ, so that all assembled can better understand the depths of the depravity of those who oppose the gospel?

Sanctimony isn't exactly helping your case, mate.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
28-08-2015, 09:46 AM
(28-08-2015 09:38 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:35 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No, you are incorrect on both counts.

That a one-sided relationship is not healthy and that loveless marriages do not benefit the children?

I am curious about this alternate universe you live in where these things are not true. Tell me more.

Did you read my post(s)? I'm pointing out your hypocrisy, so you might be avoiding it subconsciously. You said (or if you prefer, insinuated) that you will leave your partner whenever you stop loving your partner. "An atheist's guide to divorce."

Here on Planet Commitment, we have:

Counseling
Prayer
Dates/romance
Discussion
Accountability
Etc.

To help rekindle love that has matured--because chemical infatuation with a partner lasts (from memory) nine to 18 months at most. By reducing love to chemistry, you have personally redefined commitment--agape love or self-sacrifice for a beloved partner--to a childish, self-centered, selfish level of "I do what's best for me, myself and I" 100% of the time.

"Me, myself and I" as an object of veneration--the unholy trinity--is ultimately the real stereotype Christians have about atheists, and why many Christians (not me!) consider atheists morally degenerate.

I don't consider your stance on love and separation morally degenerate (you can't help it, you're an atheist and a consistent materialist, so you have to de-mystify the mysteries of love) but I do consider your stance distasteful and unwise. I defy you to tell your next prospective life partner "Let us love until I love no more, then I will quickly find the exit door."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2015, 09:48 AM
(28-08-2015 09:43 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Can I possibly pay you to attend my public debates about Christ, so that all assembled can better understand the depths of the depravity of those who oppose the gospel?

Sanctimony isn't exactly helping your case, mate.

I'd rather be occasionally sanctimonious than vile, rude, self-serving and distasteful. I urge you to deal with the real Q, the one who is honestly debating you, not the parody you believe all people like me are.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-08-2015, 09:51 AM
(28-08-2015 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:43 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Sanctimony isn't exactly helping your case, mate.

I'd rather be occasionally sanctimonious than vile, rude, self-serving and distasteful. I urge you to deal with the real Q, the one who is honestly debating you, not the parody you believe all people like me are.

You have repeatedly, in this thread and others, categorically misrepresented others. How much more projection do you wish to engage in?

[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
28-08-2015, 09:52 AM
(28-08-2015 09:46 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Did you read my post(s)?

Oh, yes.

(28-08-2015 09:46 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm pointing out your hypocrisy

Oh. Is that what's happening here? I had no idea.

(28-08-2015 09:46 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  so you might be avoiding it subconsciously. You said (or if you prefer, insinuated) that you will leave your partner whenever you stop loving your partner.

Yes, I did. And that's not hypocrisy. It might not be something that you like, because you appear to be posting from some fantasy world where every relationship is perfect and people never fall in love for all the wrong reasons resulting in a relationship that blows up later, but that doesn't make it hypocrisy.

(28-08-2015 09:46 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Here on Planet Commitment, we have:

Counseling
Prayer

Ah-ah. Sneaking terms through like that? Naughty.

Regardless, I have never said that I would refuse to take steps towards repairing a failing relationship. Knowing when it has failed, however, and moving on, is for the good of all parties involved.

You can continue to claim the moral high ground and accuse me of personal degeneracy all you like, but the idea of not forcing parties to remain in an unhealthy relationship isn't exactly one that a sane person would argue against. It only ends in tears, screaming, and some very unhappy families.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
28-08-2015, 10:54 AM
(28-08-2015 09:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm neither dishonest nor stupid. I see clearly that you are taking neuroscience, which admits to a phenomenal level of complexity in emotional reactions in the human brain (and body) and admits to knowing less about the brain than we know about the depths of the deepest oceans, and confusing the wonder that is science with a gap filler for everything.

If your claims regarding neuroscience were even fractionally true, we could pop pills to control anger the way we control diabetes or erectile dysfunction. I call baloney.

Just because we don't know everything doesn't mean we know nothing.

We are well-aware that the things we feel are based on endocrine system reactions in the brain. You proposed magic, essentially. It is not magic, it is hormones and evolved sytems for pair-bonding for the purpose of mating as it exists in our species.

And I specifically stated that our brains are composed of several systems that compete with one another and react differently to various stimuli, resulting in complex behaviors.

But that does not make our feelings magical or transcendental, which was your original contention and which I addressed. Your second answer is a dishonest dodge that fails in any way to address what I stated, ironically answering my first question.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-08-2015, 11:24 AM
(28-08-2015 09:39 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm neither dishonest nor stupid. I see clearly that you are taking neuroscience, which admits to a phenomenal level of complexity in emotional reactions in the human brain (and body) and admits to knowing less about the brain than we know about the depths of the deepest oceans, and confusing the wonder that is science with a gap filler for everything.

If your claims regarding neuroscience were even fractionally true, we could pop pills to control anger the way we control diabetes or erectile dysfunction. I call baloney.

Ha. I missed this nonsense earlier.

All the established science regarding the neurochemical basis for emotions, pair bonding, and so on aside, we have exactly those pills. Thousands of clinically depressed persons around the world take them daily, in fact.

It seems that we must add "the entire field of medical psychiatry" to the list of things that do not exist in your universe.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
28-08-2015, 02:58 PM
(28-08-2015 09:46 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Here on Planet Commitment, we have:

Counseling
Prayer

How committed are you really if you need that shit. I've been married to a Catholic for 30 years and we've never had to resort to anything like that. That shit's the beginning of the end in every case I've seen. Josh Duggar's rehab for the win!

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-08-2015, 02:59 PM
(28-08-2015 09:48 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-08-2015 09:43 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Sanctimony isn't exactly helping your case, mate.

You have a strange definition of "occasionally".

#sigh