Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2015, 08:14 PM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(13-07-2015 01:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "If you want divine justice, die." - Nick Seldon

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm convinced.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
13-07-2015, 08:35 PM
The inane shit they think is deep always amazes me. It's even worse when you're the "known scientist" in a place full of fundies. They keep coming up to you with their GOTCHA stuff, which you can barely contain your laughter upon hearing, thinking that they are tooootally gonna blow your little atheist mind:

"Don't you evolutionists know that no dog ever gave birth to a cat?!"

"I'll inform the scientific community immediately, sir."

(Yes, I've had this conversation in real life more than once.)

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-07-2015, 08:55 PM
OMG, hell is soooo scary!!!

[Image: 971723_10151937579864966_1897125455_n.jpeg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
13-07-2015, 09:16 PM
It's so tiring to hear this misquoted repeatedly, and incompletely I might add; Nick Seldon said no such thing. What he said was "... if your auntie Vine fucks this - GUY - that's her affair and not your place to interfere". It's that closing clause about not interfering that chokes up in fundamentalists' throats so we only hear the first part, sanitized or mondegreen'd or whatever gets done to it. Pathetic.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
14-07-2015, 11:00 AM
(13-07-2015 08:35 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The inane shit they think is deep always amazes me. It's even worse when you're the "known scientist" in a place full of fundies. They keep coming up to you with their GOTCHA stuff, which you can barely contain your laughter upon hearing, thinking that they are tooootally gonna blow your little atheist mind:

Have you understood the context? Dogs and cats are considered separate kinds. The Bible says animals and plants will bear according to their own kind.

Perhaps your friends would have been better off saying, "Dogs and cats sit along separate evolutionary paths and one cannot produce the other nor become the other over time."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-07-2015, 11:29 AM
(14-07-2015 11:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 08:35 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  The inane shit they think is deep always amazes me. It's even worse when you're the "known scientist" in a place full of fundies. They keep coming up to you with their GOTCHA stuff, which you can barely contain your laughter upon hearing, thinking that they are tooootally gonna blow your little atheist mind:

Have you understood the context? Dogs and cats are considered separate kinds. The Bible says animals and plants will bear according to their own kind.

Perhaps your friends would have been better off saying, "Dogs and cats sit along separate evolutionary paths and one cannot produce the other nor become the other over time."

So, you think you are not an animal?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-07-2015, 11:41 AM
(14-07-2015 11:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  So, you think you are not an animal?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Nick Seldon - A Quotation
Maybe the original post and quote can be expanded upon. Otherwise, it's just a non sequitur.

Or maybe I'll just post random threads with quotes from Dr Seuss or Aesop.
14-07-2015, 11:46 AM

"Kinds" are not a thing. The bible is completely wrong too-

Ring species

If you think "Kinds" are a thing, then you don't believe evolution is true.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
14-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Tracing back in time, all paths converge. Every living thing shares ancestors.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post